extrem simple GoPro-Rig

edited April 2012 in Bits and Pieces
Hi!

I just want to share my very simple new GoPro-Rig with you. It's just that simple, I'm even not shure, to call it a rig!

I've just attached a bolt to the back side of the GoPro housing. I've used the the "not-waterproof-door", that I never used before. I just screwed the bold to the housing with a M3-screw. The picavet is the one, I allready had from my "common" rig!

I will take this to the kite festival in Cervia/Italy, and try to do some nice shots!

Bye
Marcus (aka Tiggr)

Please visit my small KAP-gallery!

Comments

• See my simple auto KAP wind driven leaf drive for the Go Pro HD Hero.

Enjoy.

WW

WW Nano KAP Rig with Leaf-Wind Pan Drive
  • Hi!

I like your design! It's not only functional and from natural beauty, it is made from regrowing materials and realy enviroment friendly! :-)

Bye
    Tiggr (aka Marcus)
  • My simple GoPro Hero2-Rig is finished.

GoPro Hero2-Rig

It should become a very easy and light rig to be able to use it already with the lightest breath of wind. The admission direction and the inclination are adjustable by hand.

The complete rig (incl. camera, picavet-cross and role blocks) weighs only 190 g.
  • My lightest auto KAP rig.

Total weight = 106 grams.

Camera 98 = grams

Auto KAP Rig = 8 grams

Pictures - very good.

WW

Light Weight KAP Rig
    Light Weight KAP Rig
  • Hi!

I was very happy with my simple "only-straight-down-rig" in Cervia:

That's why I decided to build a second rig for my GoPro. Even very simple, without any active components. Just point it somewhere and be happy with it:

Bye
    Tiggr (aka Marcus)

Please visit my small KAP-gallery!

• And here is another variant of a simple GoPro rig:

The bracket is now available at KAPshop.com, as is the Brooxes Compact Picavet Cross, line, KAP-Klips, a Red Camera Keeper etc.
  • Peter, simple excellence!!
  • Thanks for sharing Peter. Though what's the advantage of this bracket over the "stock" holder that comes with the GoPro? ...Balance?

Also, can you use the bracket to tilt the GoPro 90 deg?
  • Good questions hqasem, I was wondering that myself. I like the idea of running with the protective case but can't acheive 90 degrees especially if I have the Wi Fi back on.
    Peter; I tried a similar set up and found I really could benefit from the PeKaBe blocks with such a light rig and the nominal extra weight was worth it.
  • Yes, with this bracket the Picavet cross keeps it function for which balance is required. No matter in which direction the camera looks you can adjust the bracket in such a way that the Picavet cross is horizontal, even with the WiFi back fitted.

Sure blocks make it even better and it also works with a folding Picavet cross.
  • Peter,

The rig looks great. You describe it as a GoPro rig, but is there any reason why it can't be used for other light cameras?

Jim
  • edited November 2012
    @NZflier- you could, but you will need 2 GoPro Tripod Mounts (and an additional GoPro thumbscrew?) to fit on the picavet cross and the tripod socket of your camera.
  • NZflier: I'll think about that. But don't forget the Brooxes Simplex. That simple and cheap rig will take almost any compact camera and is also available at Brooxes.com.

• edited November 2012
    I am also a big fan of the Brooxes picavet cross as a stand-alone rig. If there is enough wind, I always fly with this as a secondary rig on the line. If there is light wind, it's nice to have a lightweight camera to send up solo. With the new frame mount for the new Hero 3, it should be even lighter.

I also created a prototype for a panning GoPro rig. I'm using a Parallax pan servo from Brooxes on this simple rig.

• Mike- Love the counterbalance on your pan GoPro rig.
  • ServoCity sent me some free Aluminum servo mounts a while back, and thought of using them for a panning rig. It's not pretty, and need to replace the zip ties with actual screws when I get some time. The battery does do a good job of creating balance.
  • I sort of went crazy ordering some aluminum mounts after I got my new GoPro Hero 3. This one arrived today, and looks to be one of the most versatile mounts for the GoPro available. Not only can you use 1" straps to attach this to anything, but it has 4 holes to screw it into a board or ski's. Not only that, it has a standard 1/4" threaded screw hole on the bottom to attach this thing to pretty much any standard tri-pod, mono-pod, Gorilla-pod, etc.

image image

Grab a Brooxes picavet and camera keeper, along with the GoPro J-mount and Frame, and you have a rig that can point straight down or angled.

image image

I plan on using this mount in many ways, but thought I would post the KAP version here. So many fun ways to use these cameras!
  • Don't forget the WICHERD'S GSD RIG on Brooxes site.

• Thanks, Bill, for the plug but I'm sorry to say that I don't have any of Wicherd's at the moment. Haven't heard from him in several months.

http://www.brooxes.com
  • edited November 2012
    Not sure on the duplicate post, so I'v edited it to this.
  • While surfing the net, I came across someone who had replaced the standard housing with a 0.14 Litre Really Useful Box. Its about a third lighter then the GoPro one and it allows the lens to stick out front. Improved image quailty without another layer of plastic in front of it. I can now add two cameras to my standard rig using just one camera keep screw.

GoPro DIY KAP Mount
  • Foregot to note, in the UK these are available via Staples and the box size is molded on the base in one corner.
  • I ordered a 5 pack of these fun little boxes made in the UK Monday and they arrived today. I was happy to find with the Wi-Fi back these are the perfect depth for the lens to protrude, no sponge required. I'll probably save one for the Hero3 I've not yet ordered, one for general transport and the remainder will be good stocking stuffers. Thanks Barry!
  • No problem Ric, its all about sharing. ;-)
  • The box I used, I bought a few years ago, Today, I went into a UK High Street Stationary shop, Ryemans. I picked up two more boxes for 89p each.
  • edited December 2012
    I amend my answer regrading a "perfect" fit when using the Wi-Fi back. There is just a bit of play front to back still. I have a punch about the size of the lens opening I tried, not a good method, the top began to crack. That plastic is a bit on the brittle side and didn't much like being cut with an Exacto knife either. My Dremel tool with a sanding drum worked best to take down the ribs on the side and enlarge by rough lens hole opening.
  • One thing I did do was run a flame around the cut edges, this just softens the edge taking any sharpe edges off. Just a quick run over with a lighter was enough. I used a scalpel knife, just pushing the point into the plastic until you have a cut of around 5mm in length, Pull the blade out and insert again at an angle around you line, continue all around and the centre soon popped out.
  • Thanks for the tip on the $0.99 micro-storage bins from Officemax. I think using them as a KAP rig is a great idea, but I plan on using them to just protect my cameras while in the case. I slide the GoBroke's into a micro-fiber pouch and then into the mini storage bin, and then into my GoPro case. Perfect. Thanks!

• "GoBroke's "
    Ha!, indeed.