Installation of SDM/CHDK on to Canon PowerShot S100 - help please!
  • Why do I find this the hardest task in the world? Even with Dave's installer and all the info here, I cannot do it!
    Anyone who can provide a brief bullet point as to how to get me up and running will receive the biggest virtual high-5 ever.
    I have a 32GB card that has previously been used in a GoPro that I have just wiped clean after my futile attempts to get up and running. SDM is preferred over CHDK but I'm not sure the S100 is SDM ready yet (?).
    Please end my suffering!
    Kev
    xx
  • Do you know the firmware version of your camera?
  • It was 1.01b. He's up and running. :) Many thanks to David for SDM and Dave for SDMInst.
  • We're fixed!

Big thanks to Hussam (High-5 buddy!) for a swift Skype call and a run through on getting the memory card sorted and the relevant background files copied over.

The problem I had was right at the start with choosing the right SDMInst parameters for the memory card. After that all was plain sailing.

Tomorrow there are light winds forecast which should make for a great test session with the new beast. I've already seen some fantastic shots with it so have high expectations.
  • So what's the advantage of SDM over CHDK?
  • Andrew - there are two areas in which SDM offers advantages:
    1. a lot of the complexity of CHDK has been removed (far fewer menus and options) so it's much easier to navigate. Of course if something you need or want - lua scripting, games, calendar, file browser etc etc) has been removed this is a disadvantage)
    2. a lot of the things KAPers want have been turned into simple uBASIC commands (see WindWatcher's SDM scripts and compare with is older CHDK ones).
  • Agree with Dave's comments above. Both CHDK and SDM give you great control over the camera controls while in the air through automated KAP scripts.

While not for everyone....I shoot a mix of of Kite Aerial Video (KAV) and KAP (stills) on just about every flight. The SDM "Shoot_Movie" command makes this easy to mix in video and stills on a single flight. See simple example below.

The full story of KAP and CHDK/SDM can be view at the link below (warning long and popular post, but lots of good information).

See detailed post here in the "Old (Classic) forum".

Note: the script indenting shows up in edit mode but not when posted...

Enjoy,

WW

@title WindWatcher SDM KAP Script WW-S95-2
    @param p # still photos
    @default p 25
    @param z Zoom bracket on=1 or off=0
    @default z 1
    @param v Video V=1 on V=0 off
    @default v 1
    @param d video duration in seconds
    @default d 30

rem setup
    sleep_for 1000
    set_zoom_speed 10
    set_zoom 0
    sync_off
    turn_backlight_off
    sleep_for 1000

rem loop until we switch off or batteries run out
    while 1
    rem take some stills
    for n = 1 to p
    shoot
    sleep_for_seconds 1
    next n

rem possibly take a movie
    if v=1 then shoot_movie_for d
    sleep_for_seconds 2

rem possibly do a stills zoom bracket
    if z=1 then set_zoom 4
    sleep_for 1000
    for n = 1 to p
    shoot
    sleep_for_seconds 1
    next n

rem possibly another movie (while zoomed)
    sleep_for_seconds 2

rem possibly a deeper stills zoom bracket
    if z=1 then set_zoom 8
    sleep_for 1000
    for n = 1 to p
    shoot
    sleep_for_seconds 1
    next n

rem and deeper zoomed movie?
    sleep_for_seconds 2

rem undo any zooming before we repeat the whole thing
    set_zoom 0
    sleep_for 1000
    wend

• Thanks Dave and Jim.

So Jim's script works with Canon S100? and where can I get SDM for Canon S100?
    I'm guessing it's still being tested but is working OK?
  • @ Andrew

Sorry for slow response, do you still need latest SDM S100 build ?
  • Yes please David.
  • @Andrew

Did you receive my email requesting the firmware version of your S100 ?
  • No email yet David. I'll PM you an alternate email addresses. Someone else is having trouble emailing me too but it seems to be working for me. Firmware version is 101b. Thanks for persisting
  • Thanks David. Now to try and get it working.

All good after a few false starts.
  • Hi. I am very excited about trying some experiments with SDM on my s100. I have firmware version 101a. Is there anything, a beta or something to try? I have tried the 101b, but the camera will not boot. Any help or nudge in the right direction is appreciated! thanks
  • Recommend you use Dave Mitchell's CHDK/SDM laoder.

Note each camera's firmware needs to be checked. CHDK / SDM is NOT available for every firmware version.

Hang in there....the results are worth the effort.

WW
  • Hi lensmonkey - you will need a 101a build (wrong firmware versions NEVER work) - David Sykes will have to build one for you (I see you've put a request on the SDM forum - David will certainly see it).
  • There is a stable version of CHDK for firmware 101.a see http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/S100

Its working fine on my S100.
  • Thanks for the responses! WW, I had used the loader and it revealed no SDM rats :-( Meerstone, I have been using the CHDK 101a firmware to great success in CHDK-what a treat! I tried putting that .Bin onto a card with the SDM common files. CHDK tarted fine. I then loaded script from file " MD_SDM.BAS" and got a "Ubasic 71 parse error." I would be happy to put the time in to build one, but i do not know where to start. I will be researching this, any advice is well received!
  • @lenmonkey- SDM is available for the S100 1.01a firmware as well - send me an email.
  • Although SDM and CHDK both support scripts written in UBasic, SDM has quite a few extra commands which aren't in CHDK (one of the reasons for using SDM, since the extras are very useful for KAP).
  • Hello experts- how and where are scripts such as Wind Watcher's scripts put to the card? And any suggestions for
    sourcing maybe simpler scripts?
    Many thanks!
    Paul
  • Paul, you put them in the SCRIPTS folder. I know, it is that obvious. So if you want to use Jim's script above you should copy it and paste it into word pad or similar and then save it with a .bas extension (I haven't done this for a while but im sure that is right). Note Dave Michell's warning above. A script written for SDM may not work under CHDK. Put your unlocked card (that already has CHDK or SDM installed) into a card reader. Find the folder by clicking first on the CHDK folder. Then just cut and paste or drag and drop the script that you want to add.

For a simpler script my S100 101a version of CHDK comes with a few preloaded scripts. I have been using the INTERVAL.BAS and that seems to be working fine. I have been setting it at 2 seconds but haven't had enough flying time with it yet to say if that is a good setting.

If that still seems a bit complicated I have made a few notes about how to set up and work with this version of CHDK. I can post it as a tutorial if people are interested. I finally got to grips with CHDK when setting it up for my new camera, well at least enough to do the things that I want to do with it,.

Martin
  • Martin- thanks. A tutorial would be most appreciated.
    Paul
  • No problem Paul. I had some time this afternoon so here it is. If any of it needs any extra explanation PM me and I will edit it.

Martin
  • Some basic explanations and video here too

• Thank you both. I'm sure I'll have more questions.....

Paul
  • Hi

I'm looking for a 101a build of SDM for a Canon S100... I appreciate it's not officially released yet... but I've seen a few postings in this thread which suggest a pre-release version may be available? Any advice appreciated.

Prodical
  • No worries... thanks David.
  • A general comment to any other S100 users who are using WW's kindly shared script listed higher in this thread.
    Has anyone changed the script parameters to adjust the zoom bracket values?
    Jim's values of 1 (widest), 4 and 8 actually have little zoom effect in comparison to the same values applied to the S95 which provided a wide focal range which is something like (35mm film equivalent) of 28mm, 49mm and 88mm (vs 26/30/33mm with the S100) in the same 3 stages.
    I will adjust and add a couple of new bracketing scripts to my card soon enough but I just wondered if anyone had already done so and could recommend some preferred values for a mid and deep zoom setting?
  • I just picked up an S100 with firmware 101b. Where can I get a copy of SDM that is compatible with this?

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Ningaloo,

You can certainly up the zoom parameters, see below. After a fair bit of flight experience I have moved away from the upper zoom levels for two reasons: a) increased image blur and b) reduced light (means higher ISO for same shutter speed). Given I fly near sunset often I have opted for a bit less zoom. With that said .... I shoot moderate zoom on just about all KAP sessions and mostly a fixed low to moderate zoom level. I let my GoPro3 take in the wide stuff. I also fly with modified scripts (not listed below) for extreme zoom levels (fixed at mid and fixed at high zoom). I only use these for special KAP sessions where I can not get close to the subject.

See revised (un tested) script below.

Enjoy

WW

@title WindWatcher SDM KAP Script WW-S100-1
    @param p # still photos
    @default p 25
    @param z Zoom bracket on=1 or off=0
    @default z 1
    @param v Video V=1 on V=0 off
    @default v 1
    @param d video duration in seconds
    @default d 30

rem setup
    sleep_for 1000
    set_zoom_speed 10
    set_zoom 0
    sync_off
    turn_backlight_off
    sleep_for 1000

rem loop until we switch off or batteries run out
    while 1
    rem take some stills
    for n = 1 to p
    shoot
    sleep_for_seconds 1
    next n

rem possibly take a movie
    sleep_for_seconds 2

rem possibly do a stills zoom bracket
    if z=1 then set_zoom 8
    sleep_for 1000
    for n = 1 to p
    shoot
    sleep_for_seconds 1
    next n

rem possibly another movie (while zoomed)
    sleep_for_seconds 2

rem possibly a deeper stills zoom bracket
    if z=1 then set_zoom 16
    sleep_for 1000
    for n = 1 to p
    shoot
    sleep_for_seconds 1
    next n

rem and deeper zoomed movie?
    sleep_for_seconds 2

rem undo any zooming before we repeat the whole thing
    set_zoom 0
    sleep_for 1000
    wend
  • Mike - ASSIST will now let you do the whole card preparation thing for s100's (and several other cameras that have 'unofficial' SDM builds).
  • Thanks Dave!!!

Mike
  • Hello everybody, I do need your help cause I am stucked with the use of SDM on a Canon S100.
    So, CHDK/SDM geeks and SDM canon S100 users’s help would be very much appreciated. There is a trick somewhere but I can’t find it. I can’t find my mistake. Many thanks for your help.
    Sorry, long story, but I tried a lot of things before calling for help.

Backgrounds:
    I used SDM on a canon S95 (after a A570) for autokap without any problem for few years.
    I read Dave M. post on ASSIST and STICK program (HUGE job and great help for the CHDK and SDM community). I had trouble running ASSIST with Win7, and I send messages to Dave to help him locate the trouble, if possible. A few hours later, the problem was solved by Dave. Many many thanks for your devotion. I was on duty and didn’t managed to thank you before. Done.

With this new version, I made (in parallel) 2 setups. One for my S95, one for a friend’s S100.

Canon S95 (firmware 1.00k)
    I used the very very last ASSIST version, assistx.cmd (win7), browse (s95 photo), on a 4Gb card (pre-2011 camera, I prefer to stay with 1 partition). Everything fine.
    I tried the usual script downloaded (timelapse default 3P) without any trouble.
    I made a very simple program to test (TEST3P) to try to debug S100 trouble (see below).
    TEST3P is running smoothly on the S95, taking 3 shoots and printing on screen DEBUT then Photo1 ,2, 3, and THE END, as intended, to help track the process.
    I can view my photos on the camera (review/play button) even in SDM mode (lock ON on the card) and of course, I can find back my photos on the card (DCIM folder lock OFF via the computer).
    I can shut down the camera from SDM level, by pressing the usual On/OFF camera button.
    AFAIK, for my S95 1.00k with SDM/CHDK 1.86/ASSIST everything is OK.

Canon S100 (firmware 1.00D)
    I used the (same) very last ASSIST version, assistx.cmd (win7), browse (s100 photo), on a new 8Gb card Sandisk C10 (post-2011 camera accepts 1 partition on >4Gb card). Everything fine.
    AFAIK, on the S100, the “ALT” button is the “review/play” button…
    When I switch on the canon S100 with SDM/ON, I see 1.86 flashing but the upper part of the numbers remains visible (/S95), even if I wait for a long time before hitting any key. (if I press “the alt button” 3 times, the remaining parts of 1.86 disappear completely (?)).
    When I press the “play” button, I see “ALT” mode and the name of the last SDM program used, printed in the left lower corner of the screen. (I can run through menu, scripting, change the selected program, and so on). When I am back to “ALT” level with TEST3P selected, and I press the camera shoot button, the program begins running, I can see “DEBUT” printed on screen but no Clic-Clac (sound ON), no “photo n=1” printed on screen, no shoot AFAIK, no shoot on the card, and the program stays stucked there.
    Before running this short debugging program (TEST3P), I tried other programs like Timelapse (default 3P), and other programs running fairly on S95, no better answer. The camera seems stucked in the middle of any program (with exactly the same set of scripts for the S95 and for the S100).
    The CHDK/SDM set are specific (s100 1.00D) but the script folder is exactly the same one for both tested cameras.

I can’t shut down the camera. I had to take the battery off to exit this state.

By the way, I think it won’t be possible to review the pictures from SDM level, on the S100, as the alt button is the review button!!. (You have to undo SDM (lock off, on the card), to first return to normal use).

The canon S100 is running fine without SDM (normal use)
    I tried the same setup on a specific 4Gb card (same as the S95’one), same problems.

If you got here and you have read the whole text, please forgive my approximative english syntax and vocabulary! Cheers from France.

Appendice: TEST3P program written on notepad and save as AAtestPJ.bas
    @title TEST 3P

rem setup
    sleep_for 1000
    sync_off

print "DEBUT"

rem take 3 test stills
    for n = 1 to 3
    shoot
    print "photo n="n
    sleep_for_seconds 5
    next n

sync_on

print "THE END"
    sleep_for_seconds 5

end
  • Phil,

Do not give up.

I shoot multiple times a week with the S100 using CHDK / SDM and my simple WW KAP scripts. It works great.

I also have the Canon S95 and have used it extensively also with CHDK / SDM.

The button set up is a bit different on the S100 vs the S95 (the S100 has a dedicated video button).

After start up, my S100 does have a bit of text that remains on the screen (S95 did not have this).

I use single partition on 16 Gb SD cards (I take lots of pictures and HD video....)

Not certain why your script is turning sync_on I just leave it off.

I also don't use the print function while shoot. I actually power down the display to conserve the battery. The screen does flicker briefly during each shot.

The above a just cosmetics and should have no impact on your script.

Power up and down....I did note that the S100 requires you to hold the power button for a couple of seconds to power up in SDM / CHDK mode....but only a quick press is required to power down.

As a test you could run my WW KAP script (listed above) as a test.

Keep at it!

WW

• WW, Many thanks for your quick answer.

Do not give up. not even an option!

I shoot multiple times a week with the S100 using CHDK / SDM and my simple WW KAP scripts. It works great. Which firmware?

The button set up is a bit different on the S100 vs the S95 (the S100 has a dedicated video button). Do you confirm PLAY button, on your S100

After start up, my S100 does have a bit of text that remains on the screen (S95 did not have this). me, too

Not certain why your script is turning sync_on I just leave it off.

I also don't use the print function while shoot. I actually power down the display to conserve the battery. The screen does flicker briefly during each shot. the print function is only use there to try to understand where the bugs are

The above a just cosmetics and should have no impact on your script. agree

Power up and down....I did note that the S100 requires you to hold the power button for a couple of seconds to power up in SDM / CHDK mode....but only a quick press is required to power down. no success for me

As a test you could run my WW KAP script (listed above) as a test. already try this, yesterday, without any chance. reason why I try now with small program to solve this problem
  • There are a few quirks with S100 SDM (my version 101b) that appear intermittently.
    I have had a freeze when using Manual focus, when pushing a button before the flash screen goes, for other unknown reasons.

To review images you push and hold the play button for just a bit longer than the ALT mode quick push.
  • My Canon S100 was born with firmware 101B.

yes use the play button to start the SDM mode.

WW
  • @Andrew
    After your answer, I tried without Manual focus (my usual setting), but no good news.
    I also tried to push and hold the play button "for just a bit longer" and even for a longer time, but no response from the S100.
    Will see and let you know if we found something interesting later on.
    Many thanks for your help.

@WW
    Thanks for the answers.
  • I'll try your script on my camera but it may not help you much. I have a different firmware and computer OS.
    All I can suggest is format the card and try again from scratch. I understand how frustrating it is, but mine worked eventually after a few attempts.
  • Good news and bad news.

Good news:
    I leaved the same message on the french KAP forum http://photocerfvolant.free.fr/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4687&p=51873#p51873 and Gilbert alias Deltakap asked me to try CHDK on the S100. I downloaded the CHDK make with STICK (firmware 1.00D detected).... and everything is working fine. Interval.bas is running smoothly. I can view the photos from CHDK level. I can shut the camera down, the usual way (ON/OFF button). YES!

Bad news:
    I made one more time the whole process, formatting the same card 4Gb, ASSIST, same S100photo, 1.00D detected, installing SDM, card made bootable and so on.... I tried to use a script from the very new folder (Time_lapse.bas) and the camera got stucked the same way. Everything identical to the previous description.
    So I think, maybe, there would be something to look for on the SDM make for this firmware S100 1.00D if this sentence means something for our CHDK SDM experts.
    Have a great day, we are close to a happy end.
    Cheers

• @Phil78

Please contact me directly at microfunguy AT gmail DOT com.

David
  • David,
    Many thanks for your help. I just received the patch, and everything is fine. It's a kind of magic!.

@Andrew
    To review images you push and hold the play button for just a bit longer than the ALT mode quick push.
    Even this is working fine for me.

@WW
    As a test you could run my WW KAP script (listed above) as a test.
    as soon as possible...

Best regards from France.
  • Just a quick note to say that ASSIST will now download the fixed s100 100d build that David Sykes sent to Philippe.
  • All the s100 builds have been updated (thanks to David Sykes). In the process of updating I managed to take ALL the SDM builds off-line for a while. If you got a message from ASSIST (or ACID) saying it couldn't find a build, try again - should be fine now.
  • I was concerned about battery life when I decided to buy the S100. Finally, I got to do a field test yesterday with a battery that started out at 70-80% full. Running clickPAN-SDM to control servos and conserving as much energy as I know how to do, I shot about 260 pictures. At the end, my camera showed the battery to be at 61%. I no longer am concerned about battery life on the S100!

Tom Gautier
  • Hi all
    I used installed Dave's latest "Assist" on my laptop following some install instructions which were very good. I have a Canon A2400 IS which was too new last Autumn to be on the list but it has been added and the photo loaded ok.
    I have loaded Wind Watcher's modified script and it ran at home, zooming and taking video after 25 shots . I found out how to change which script was used in 'file explorer" and changed it to the WW 2 script. Very pleased with myself. I still don't.understand much.
    I was hoping to try it out yesterday when I joined Northern Monkeys Kite Group - a trick kite group of 4 men. The wind was so light that I flew my new Zero 1.1 Horvath kite and they flew their trick kites when the wind came up a bit. They had hot dogs and beer and I brought some cake so it wasn't a wasted journey.
    I want to try WW script out soon to see what the results are like

Thanks to Dave M & S and WW for making all this possible

Fly High

Sue

• Glad you are enjoying it Sue.

The ultimate aim is that you do not need to understand anything about SDM and that it does not get in the way of your photography.

But first, at this time of year, I have a lot of photography to do.

David

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion