Three KAP kites compared - Bft 2
  • Here's another instalment of KAP kites compared. This time the wind was very light, mostly around 3 to 5kn at a guess.

PFK Nighthawk
    ITW Levitation Delta
    7ft Pirate Rokkaku

I didn't attempt to launch the PL 2m2 Pilot, not enough wind.

• Another super video, shows the PFK can be a fun kite to fly in low winds without a rig on ;-)
  • Interesting viewing. And quite timely considering that I've just come back from flying my 7ft Rok in winds varying between 4 to 7 knots.

Basically, my Rok struggled to fly. It took a little patience to get it airborne and it flew with a single camera autoKAP rig for probably 15 to 20 minutes before I had to give up and call it a day. I had to detatch the rig at one point as the Rok was gently ditching in some scrub. After this the wind would not play ball and the Rok could not be coaxed back into the sky.

It leads me to question whether anyone has any measurements of the effect of temperature on flying conditions? It seems to me the only difference between our conditions was the temperature - our live airport data was showing 1.8C while I was out (now it's a balmy 2.1C as I type!).

• In lower temperatures kites as well as all other flying stuff which somehow interacts with air for its lift (balloons included) generally fly better as air is denser then.

rgds
    \Seb
  • It was a pleasant 25c in the video. Of course measuring wind speed when it's light is pretty difficult.
  • I really appreciate both these videos Andrew. Thank you. Had your spool not been in the frame the Rok would have looked like a still image "Painted to the sky"
    These are the typical conditions I am left to fly in.
  • Excellent test, Andrew! You still need to get, Dopero. :O)
  • Dopero? It is on the list. Your creations are stunning.
  • Thank you, Andrew. Now I want to build dopero, specifically to fly in thermals. It will be an experiment, I love this type of kite. :O)
  • Here's the Rok and PFK in Bft 1 to 2 (2 to 3 kn). Not enough to launch the Pilot and Levi Delta and just enough to get the PFK up....then down.
    This shows how deltas glide forward when the wind drops out. I was using the heavy spreader, maybe the light one would make it behave differently.

• I might point out that flying the right deltas for KAP with light rigs in these conditions can be some of the most rewarding KAP you can experience. The PFK is loo much a jack-of-all trades, built more for heavy winds but a light built delta like the Dan Leigh whirlwind, XFS, and others can open the doors into a whole area of light wind flying. This is flying where the weight of the rig does the kite flying and you are left as a happy spectator. Absolutely my favourites conditions and kite and rig combination. Not for those unfamiliar with their kite charactistics, but "slack line KAP" is very rewarding and due to the total lack of line vibration and slow lazy, movements of the system, is a way to get hundreds of pin- sharp photos without any fancy suspensions, gyros or what-nots.

Simon

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion