What happened to Flickr?

edited May 2013 in General
Is anyone else experiencing trouble with Flickr?

It's taking forever to load on both computers I use. When it finally does, it is incompatible with any other window being open.

If Flickr has changed their format, I wish they'd change it back.

Comments

• edited May 2013
    It works fine for me. Also, you now get a terabyte of free storage!
  • edited May 2013
    Actually some big changes to flickr were introduced.
    - whole new layout
    - free accounts with more advertisements
    - the Pro accounts that many of us used just increased in price by 100% from $25 to $50
    - few of the presentation formats are improvements.
    - will have to learn the new interface to navigate and share links
    - more of a 500px look

See detailed discussion here on flickr central.

A summary of what is new.

A bit more here on the changes at flickr

Marissa Mayer is beginning to shake the tree (and tumblr) and the direction for flickr...time will tell...

Enjoy the wide new world of flickr....

WW
  • edited May 2013
    Video wont play in Safari, can't change away from the justified view, can't get to the links at the bottom of the page because more photos keep loading. Cover images for Sets are way cropped.

As an eligible Pro account member I can change to the free account before Aug 20. What on earth does that mean?
  • edited May 2013
    I just got an e-mail from Flickr in answer to my complaints telling me the "new" Flickr is "faster" and "easier to use".

I don't see how either is true.

New Flickr seems to want to load hundreds of photos per page - which takes quite a while to do on my computers. And this ties up all other computer operations, so I can't check the weather or check my e-mail in other windows while I'm waiting for Flickr to load its endless page.

We all lived through the days of Dial Up, I guess. So that's how I'll have to deal with looking at the photos on the Flickr KAP Group. Click on the page, then go do something else somewhere else while the page loads.

I'd quit my pay account immediately, except I'm afraid to find out how much slower and more difficult to use Flickr would be if I had to deal with the advertisements.
  • @Chaz- I don't want to start a discussion on whether advertisements are "good" for the Internet or not. Personally, I choose not to see them, and this is what I do: I find the above combination to be quite effective in squashing most Ads and improving my browsing experience.

I don't know if I like the "new" Flickr yet, but I like the fact that photographs appear much larger without having to click on them.
  • Spotted the change last night, not happy with the new layout and they are a bit evasive on what happens if you prefer you old Pro Account which will disappear. Looks like very much the advertisers have the upper hand and their main income source from now on!
  • The way I read the page here, while new users can no longer buy the old-style Pro account, existing Pro account users can continue at the same price as before (or they can opt to have a free account).
  • David it gone from $25 to $50 for an ad free experience! Or the free version with lots of adverts in your face. I don't like the new interface controls and are not that easy to find.
  • That's only for newcomers. If you currently have a Pro account (no ads) then you can continue with it at the old price of $25.
  • @Dave: but only until their current subscription expires. One can not renew Pro subscription anymore.
  • @sebaska I just checked my account and it says that it will be renewed automatically at the same price when it expires. Am I missing some small letter? Regards Ramiro
  • For years now, people have been complaining about how dated Flickr has become. Now that it has been updated, people are complaining. Hmmm!

In the Getty Images Contributor group on Flickr, someone pointed out that adding "?details=1/" to the end of your Flickr URL would return you to the old look. I tried it. It is partially true. It does not transport you back in time to the former "glory" of the whole Flickr world.

Pro accounts are renewable. What hasn't been said is whether they will be renewable always or for just the next time.

Generally, I like the change but Flickr seems somewhat slower. I'm using Chrome. I did see one "bug" in the Organize module but got past it and haven't seen it again.

A photographer I know has been touting new improvements to Google+ for photography. I haven't checked them out.
  • Getting the hang of it now...but still cannot find the large list of groups that I am in,including various kap groups. can anyone help?
  • It's in the pull-down for "Communities" at the top of the "You" page.
  • Apparently, Flickr's worked out a few of the bugs it had this morning.

Earlier this morning, I clicked on the Flickr KAP Group, and broke out the stopwatch. It was 58 seconds before I could see the first three photos! That's speed unheard of since the days of dial-up.

Just now, I clicked the same link, and the page loaded in less than one second - just like every other page on the web does.

That was the main beef I had with the switchover, the ammount of time it took my computer to load a thousand hi-res photos. Now, I have set it for "medium, thumbnails", and I'm getting a much more manageable 72 photos per page.
  • Thanks pokytom...now,how do I magnify a photo...to look at fine detail ?
  • Chippy, I don't think that has ever been a Flickr option. The new full-screen mode gets us closer, though. In fact, it does too well at revealing my editing flaws.

Check Google+/Picasa for additional editing options. I use Picasa locally on my computer but not for fine editing and not on the web.
  • According to Dpreview this evening:
    "Details were initially fuzzy about what would happen to Pro users, and a backlash ensued as it appeared this option was disappearing entirely, but Flickr now says these customers can renew their unlimited storage plan for $25 annually. That's an amazing deal for those "grandfathered in": if you're lucky enough to be one of them, just be sure to sign up for a recurring Pro subscription.

Pro members also have until August 20, 2013 to opt for the Free account model and receive a prorated refund for their Pro account fee. Flickr offers many more answers about Pro account changes on its website."

How we sign up for the recurring Pro subscription I am not sure.
  • Pokytom...I have found it now - click on the image - then click the 3 dots,far right,then click (view all sizes).
  • Yes, the old "all sizes" option. Just to experiment, I clicked on a random picture and compared the largest size available for that picture and found it to be smaller than the new full-screen version. I also clicked on a very large pano of mine and the full-screen mode just went to black before advancing to the next picture.

So the maximum zoom is limited to the larger of the largest size uploaded or the size of the full-screen version. I'll usually upload small versions rather that full-size version of my pictures, in spite of the unlimited space allotted for Pro account holders.
  • Spotted this on another forum. The guy who copied and pasted it has his wild life images regularly posted on the BBC .
    any one on here that uses flickr for there pics ,will have noticed massive changes this week ,heres a letter from one concerned yorkshire lass .puts it all in context and she's starting to go viral with this letter

Trell Burton | www.trellburton.co.uk says:

Photographers suffer accusations of paedophilia and terrorism when they are in fact just being creative. We get pushed from pillar to post and threatened with new laws and lawsuits. Police officers are happy to tell you in the street you cannot take photos without their permission when they understand little of the laws.

We’ve had equipment confiscated, and memory cards wiped. We’ve suffered arrest, then release, then apology and compensation. We’ve been thrown out of buildings and spat at in the street. Where would the world be without photography? Who would know what had happened in Rwanda, in South Africa – during the civil rights struggle of the US that has moved the world forward? Who would stand up for the little people and show what really happened at Hillsborough and the recent Boston bombings – how does all that get across to the world? Through photography.

And what about the happier times? Your wedding, your kids, your 21st birthday? What about the need for a cool passport photo? What about seeing two kids playing in a street and lifting your camera to capture a moment in time? What about following in the footsteps of Henri Cartier-Bresson?

Well now photographers the world over have been overlooked, insulted, and denounced by Yahoo. The very people who made Flickr famous have been stabbed in the back and told they do not exist by Marissa Mayar. Their needs are not appropriate in the modern world of capitalism not when there’s the 13 to 25 year old age group who enjoy messing around on their mobile phones, taking photos of their food and their endless nights out. And what’s wrong with that? Nothing, of course. That’s why that demographic is firmly embedded with Facebook and Instagram and Tumblr and Pinterest. They are comfortable with those platforms just as we were with flickr. It’s way too late in the day for Flickr to become a social network run mainly from mobile phones. To that end Yahoo, and Marissa Mayar have shot themselves in the foot. This new site will never take off with serious photographers, people who lug about heavy cameras and bags and diligently work through post production techniques. Yahoo you have told your customer base to go forth. Many, many of your customers will happily take your advice.

Let me not forget to mention the sneaky way it was done. Without warning. Without choice.

Let’s not forget anyone with an ounce of sense can see this was designed by someone with much youth and not much experience at life. Clearly someone with no understanding of photography.

Let’s not forget the deafening silence from Yahoo and Flickr and Mayar during the first 24 hours of their new site while they sit hiding reading all the feedback while 15,000 photographers at least panic about who sh** on their work. Where are you Marissa? Are you afraid to speak to your customers? Or where there just so many pleas for help that you decided to disable Flickr help support until you can figure out what to do or wait for it all to blow over? This will not blow over for me. And Marrisa, with 12 photos on your Flickr account, and having been a member since December 2012 – what exactly is it you think you understand about Flickr? Not as much as us, clearly.

You have cut off the majority of UK users as we simply don’t have the bandwidth the site requires to operate. I’m guessing you knew this already. Not only that, many of us cannot even download the photos we paid and trusted you to look after. The first response I got form your help team told me it was my fault. It was my browser, it was my firewall, I need a faster connection. Grow up! It’s because you have changed the site, I changed nothing on my computer. The second response was deafening silence and that silence continues.

I, along with many others, have invested almost a decade on my Flickr account – uploading the millions of pictures you are so fond of quoting to speak of your site’s success and we never deserted you despite alterations and rumours of site obscurity. We’ve adapted to all your changes and embraced the good ones. None have been as diabolical as this one. All the others were little add ons to make the experience better and the site more functional – for photography.

Well, good luck with stealing the market from under the feet of Facebook and Instagram, you may well need it. Success is always an arc. From the mid 2000’s you were locked in obscurity and each picture we uploaded took you a little further up the arc, then a little more as the years knocked on. This resulted in you achieving fame and being the site most associated with photography (in case you don’t realise, mobile uploads are a bit of fun and cannot really be classed as photography) and photographers – though many associated with this site protest this. ‘Flickr was never built for professional photographers’. Who cares? That’s what happened - serious amateurs to those earning a living from newspaper photography have made this place their home, and you just evicted us without warning or any chance to take our things to a new home. We’re homeless now and are scrambling around in the dirt to find a new abode. You reached the top of your arc Flickr, and now you’re on the way down

• edited May 2013
    As one who generally adores and occasionally grumps about Flickr, I find the new developments a source of concern. The adoration stems from appreciating the spirit of community on Flickr's photography centered site and the great wealth of images that have accumulated there. Flickr gives us KAP-related groups, a chance to follow the work of interesting photographers, the means to probe EXIF data, the utility of using Flickr to host images for inclusion in other sites, and more. The less sanguine aspects of Flickr included its clumsy graphic hand in site design (for which I now pine wistfully) and the increasingly ugly presence of Yahoo as corporate owner (witness the useless and unavoidable purple toolbar hovering above each Flickr page). Still, the good outweighed the bad by a large margin.

Unfortunately, I read this week's news as signaling the beginning of the end for Flickr as a useful photographer's tool. Yahoo, lame by any measure, appears to be retooling the site as a wannabe Facebook. The new graphic design is just awful from my perspective and clumsy to navigate. Worse yet, much worse, is the shift from paid subscriptions to an expanded ad-supported business model where our creative content is monetized for Yahoo's benefit. I, for one, do not want my images served below purple toolbars and adjacent to blinking ads.

Do you want your images used to sell trucks and whatnot? Even if you pay money to have *your* Flickr experience ad-free, other people who do not pay money will see advertisements adjacent to the display of your photos.

My challenge now is imagining how to effect a graceful exit while dealing with hundreds if not thousands of my images on Flickr embedded in other sites such as this discussion page. And what will become of the sense of community and image-centered discourse we KAPpers have established on Flickr? Is there another site where we might land? Or maybe Yahoo will fix a few things and we will put up with the new order. Either way the news isn't good.

• edited May 2013
    This is where the 'pro ' account is headed:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57585405-93/flickrs-new-$499.99-per-year-doublr-service-explained/

Suggested alternatives to flickoffr seem to be:

Google Picasa
    Google+
    Smugmug
    Zenfolio
    500px
    Pictage

B

• I read some of the comments on the petition page. "Poorly done" and "everyone hates the new Flickr" are some of the qualitative opinions presented as facts that I'm supposed to accept without challenge. I don't belong to the "everyone" crowd. The new Flickr is acceptable to me even though it has weaknesses.
  • Poky Tom I agree, there is a fair bit of angry reaction without qualification but new flickr is so slooooooow- and I can't see any benefit in recompense for this. There is a very unfortunate side effect of the speed issue: it mitigates against groups, I can't spare the time it takes to load the pages and so I'm not bothering to look at other peoples work now. I have a hard time keeping an eye on my own stuff! The simple restriction of access by dint of slow page loads is a shift in focus from an open and accessible photographer’s forum towards the idea that photography is a projection of the self rather than a means to share a view of the world.

rant over..feel better already...
    B
  • At the moment...cannot tag new photos for some reason...cannot add photos to groups or sets ?
  • I confirm that Flickr seems much slower and that activity in my groups has slowed down considerably. It's buggy, too. I know that most commercial systems continue to be fixed and improved after installation so I expect that our arguments will be addressed. I agree with Flickr management that Flickr should feature pictures rather than words. That's why I basically like it but it may also be why it is so slow. On any given picture, simply scrolling down reveals pretty much all the old options for commenting.

I would suggest to Flickr that the "Collections" option should be next to the "Sets" option. Currently, it is located in the 3-dot dropdown menu. That might make up for our loss of control over page layout.

The "Upload" option is extremely slow but I won't be using it because Lightroom's Flickr publishing option is still relatively fast and more convenient for me.

Today, I'm working on my own version of a stratospool. The main innovation is a simple brake that has worked well in testing.

Back to that!
    Tom
  • I just uploaded a single pic and the whole process went pretty fast, particularly since I've got an old, slow computer. I have very few pictures stored on Flickr so maybe that's why it's speedier.
  • Seems that the above partition has had an adverse effect!

Hello Again Everyone.

I am sorry to say, I am declaring Flickr a complete lose. Our campaign has failed to gain the momentum needed to gain the number of signatures needed to make a impression on the Flickr Staff. In addition, the Flickr team is taking proactive steps to Ban any users they know have signed the petition. In this light, I am going to make a recommendation. I suggest that anyone will the ablility to leave flickr do so. The website http://www.ipernity.com has kindly offered to help any flickr users who are upset with the new design. ipernity is almost identical to the flickr old design. They are a relitively new website so I suggest patience with them. They only have 7 staff members at the moment, but unlike flickr, they listen to users and we can help them grow. In addition, there is a old flickr members group you can join where we can help you make the change. If you have questions, you can ask us. The group is: http://www.ipernity.com/group/286519. I will continue the petition, I just wanted to bring people up to speed. Lets "Abandon Ship" before the RMS Flickr drags us down. They hit their iceberg, but are ignorant enough to think they will not sink.

If you have any questions or comments for me, I can be reached at astroboy_99@rocketmail.com.

Good Luck my friends,
    Toby Tenma