KAPKROW3 GoPro rig
  • A new low cost GoPro rig has been designed by Dominic Morrow and is offered for sale at £20:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MorrowWorks

It's a fixed axis device but looks like fun for the GoProer on the go go!

More detail here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/KAP/comments/22fcdy/after_a_few_revisions_and_a_lot_of_testing_my/

B
  • Anybody got a problem with a ziptie on the Picavet line like that?
  • Over the years there has been some debate of the need for movement at the Picavet anchors. Consensus, I think, was it made little difference. I think top pulleys help with leveling but are not really necessary. I had them on one rig, but most rigs made do with split rigs at top, but I never cinched them down like this. If the line angle changes significantly in flight, movement at the top provides some accomodation.

Simon
  • I found that if the lines are free at the top rings its easier to hitch on a steep line, the lines will level out if they are trapped at the top but I think distributed friction is better than forcing all the movement at the cross end. I have never seen them clipped as Dominic has done here, I just remember what Scott Armitage said at KapiNED2010: the Picavet works by friction so all points of contact count as friction points- if movement is trapped at one point it will be multiplied at another.

Mind you I use a pendulum most of the time...and rubber bands...

B
  • Brooks always suggested tying them at the top-rings (hang-ups) so I imagine he'd approve of the zip-tie. A knot is what I've always done -- after leveling once. A knot up there has the added benefit of not letting the thing fall apart when one line or primary knot fails.

Friction is what dampens picavet motion and it's why I use simple rings instead of ball-bearing pulleys. However, if you play around with a Picavet, 99% of the motion and friction is on the cross no matter what you do up above. I don't think the top-rings matter.

Knots or zip-ties do focus all the friction at one point on the lines so if you do a ton of KAP I'd suggest inspecting the line at that point every so often.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion