Cambridge and Kent KAP around Easter tide 2015

SueSue
edited April 2015 in Meetings
I've been in touch with Bill Blake and Tim - Suffolkkapper to go KAPing near Cambridge over Easter our during the week after. Tim can do the weekend and Bill during the week. It'd there are any more KAPers who would like to join us - join the conversation.

I found two places on Google maps which looks interesting. Lots of space. There seems to be parking on Chesterton Road near Jesus Green

52°12'42.0"N 0°07'16.5"E
http://goo.gl/maps/1buVW

Jesus Green park in Cambridge near the river and lock (behind some trees)

Also
http://goo.gl/maps/ESiDj

Midsummer Common Cambridge near the river. Not too far from Jesus Green

Any thoughts on this Bill?

I'm also interested in any ruined castes (with easier access than the one in Tim's latest outing)☺

We hope for good winds and weather for this. ☺☺

Fly High

Sue

Comments

• Parking on Chesterton Rd is on a meter. Max stay 2 hours, you will not find anywhere in the city with unrestricted parking, If you are lucky you may find street parking to the North of there. But in truth you will be unlikely to park for free anywhere less than half an hours walk from there. I ride a bike. Parking is a war here!

The ruins of Cambridge are long gone; the castle was leveled by Cromwell and the rest of the city has been built in fine style by the University.

Midsummer Common is probably the easiest place to fly and the views of the river, the rowers & the boat houses by kite are most rewarding.

B

• SueSue
    edited March 2015
    I didn't see the meters on Google maps but parking doesn't have to be free.... Just available and empty ☺

Fly High

Sue
  • @ Bill
    Do you know interesting places in the countryside? There is a park at Godmanchester - Postholme Meadow

Dropped Pin
    http://goo.gl/maps/6IrVr

I will be fairly near there during the week after Easter.

Fly High

Sue
  • edited March 2015
    With the wind in the right quarter you should get some nice views of Huntington from Portholme...which was one of the first aerodromes in the land. Can get a bit boggy after rain.

I have never flown there for fear of its proximity to the A14.
  • Midsummer Common, Cambridge, sounds like a good place to fly with the interest of boats etc on the River.

Fly High

Sue
  • edited March 2015
    With a bit of luck the Circus will be on Midsummer Common:
    L1340813

and the river is always busy:
    _DSC1051

As an alternate spot I'd suggest Nobles Field, the great meadow at St Ives (although you may have to share it with RC planes) the views of the town from there in the afternoon are worthwhile:

_DSC0742

_DSC0743

So welcome to the county of Cambridgeshire, where we have fewer trees than any other (although I seem to find them all), we are the birthplace of football, where the electron was discovered, where the 1st atom was split, and proud host the 2nd oldest University in the Land!

Looking forward to it, here's hoping for fair winds,

B

• SueSue
    edited March 2015
    >Looking forward to it, here's hoping for fair winds,<
    Yes indeed.
    It looks like the Park and Ride buses from Trumpington Road go fairly close to Midsummer Common. That might be the way I would have to arrive...kites sticking out in all directions!

See you soon I hope

Fly High

Sue
  • edited March 2015
    Sue,Tim...and any others interested.

I think I have a plan. Park at my place (I have 'unlimited' on-street parking outside Blake towers) and then wheel kit down to Midsummer on bikes...I should have 2 available so we can take a lot of gear in 'wheelbarrow' mode. It's about 15mins walk. Fly kites, take world class aerial shots of Cambridge, the mighty Cam and all it has to offer... and back to my place for download and tea.

Mobile Aerial Photographic unit

I can now confirm the following possible dates: Tue31st March, Thurs 2nd, Tues 7th through to Fri 10th April.

All depends on the Wx.

B

• SueSue
    edited March 2015
    Sounds like a plan Bill. Tim says he has to work during the week. If the weather cooperates, Tuesday 7th April would be good as I'm leaving the Easter Meet at Sawston then. If not, I could stay in the area (on your road?) to save driving from Little Staughton the other side of the A1.

I'm looking forward to using my new tilt rig. At the moment I'm waiting (not patiently) for a Pololu electronic switch to add to it so I can stop and start the auto-Pan.

I've been looking at Google earth and saw that Graffham Water is quite close to Little Staughton so I'll have a trip there to KAP some boats. We sailed there a very long time ago for the "Graduate" dinghy national championships which was an experience we enjoyed.

Fly High

Sue
  • Sue, Tim

I have just had a contract come in. My available dates are now 7th-10th April at best.

B
  • The 7th would still be good for me if the weather is OK (see my last post)

The Pololu switch for pan on/off has arrived but it's not quite right yet.

I've sent you a message

Fly High

Sue
  • Might be able to make it. Would probably come by train and meet you there.
  • @ GertyX
    That would be good.
    Bill has suggested Midsummer Common. I've seen it on Google earth and it's a big park near the river without many trees
    I'm a foreigner to those parts so I'm looking forward to KAPing in the area

Fly High

Sue
  • I'm also Suffolk and relatively familiar with Cambridge (someone drove into us by the police station last year!), but very, very new to KAP. So new I'm thinking I'll have to make a bag to put my kite in to transport it!
  • You can get long bags made for putting over the folding clothes lines for £1 or so at cheap shops. That would do to start with and save you making one just at the moment. I have a spare but you'd have to get there without it. I have a few big long bags which can hold a LOT of kites while they are stowed in my motorhome. ( They gradually creap out and I have to re-organise now and again,
    I use a rucksack to carry the reel, gloves, carabiners on webbing belts, a drink, photo book, visiting cards and even the Power sleds 24 and 14 go in as well.
    The rig has it's own case, which reminds me, I bought a hard rucksack from 'Scope' which needs some sponge to fit the new tilt rig.

What kite(s) do you have? What sort of rig?

Fly High

Sue
  • SueSue
    edited March 2015
    @ Tim
    There a castle ruin at Saffron Walden with a museum. There's a common at the other side of the cross roads so it could be a possibility for KAP.
    http://www.ecastles.co.uk/saffronwalden.html
    https://www.google.com/maps/@52.025464,0.242136,19z?hl=en

Thetford castle
    http://www.ecastles.co.uk/thetford.html
    High motte and it looks like there's plenty of room for flying too.
    Thetford also has a ruined priory
  • The weather over Easter is going to be very windy according to this
    http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/forecast/10day/Cambridge
    Monday seems a perfect day wind wise.

Fly High

Sue
  • Missed your comments Sue. Can't have my notifications set right. Washing line bag sounds like a good idea. I have a homemade 6' rokkaku, so, long and thin when packed up and about 1.5m. Nothing clever yet, just a GoPro on a crude picavet that easily fits in a rucksack.
  • OK
    As long as your set up works and you're happy with it...It's perfect.
    Hope we can arrange something

Fly High

Sue
  • OK folks,

Looks like 7th April is my best date. If the wind is as Sue's links suggest...I'm not flying! The BBC have a different version: 14mph NNE. Too much for the big rok but do-able with the Explorer.

Midsummer common is a great place to experiment. Let's hope the weather suits. Unfortunately the circus closes on the 6th but the river is always a good subject.

B
  • which explorer would you use bill? would 14mph be perfect for the levitation light?
  • edited March 2015
    Depends how much I want to lift. My favorite at the mo is the little one (1,6) . The Levitation will certainly cope with 14mph but I think by beefing up the spar I might risk stretching the sail if I do too much of that sort of thing. I think I have done this to one already. I like lighter winds whenever possible. 7-12mph seems to be optimum for the Levi over 12 the Explorers do well.

B
  • What range is the 1.6 explorer still very stable in Bill? Cheers! Tim
  • SueSue
    edited March 2015
    Windfinder says something different- 22 mph on the 7 April
    Lovely day with perfect winds on Easter Sunday.
    Tonight's forecaster on Countryfile said that nothing is certain.
    We'll have to wait and see.

Hopefully able to Fly High

Sue

P. S. I've sent a message to Bill B with my mobile number so we can be in contact while I'm away and not on line. Tim already has it.
  • 14 mph is getting on for Power Sled 14 time.☺

Fly High

Sue
  • Tim,
    The Explorer 1.6 is good up to about 20mph...it heels over in anything bigger than that. Like most soft kites they don't have a steep angle of flight but they are great kites for getting 'reach'.

B
  • SueSue
    edited March 2015
    Oh. That's an explorer is it? Same colours as by Yorkshire Flowform. ☺

YORKSHIRE FLOWFORM

Let's hope the wind will let us fly anything we want to!!

Fly High

Sue
  • Windfinder now says 9 mph for the 7th. :-D
  • SueSue
    edited April 2015
    Tim has suggested Thetford castle in the morning of Easter Saturday or Sunday and Thetford Priory in the afternoon.
    When we go will depend on what the weather is doing.

@ GertyX hope you cam join us then or with a Bill Blake and myself on the 7 April.
    Keep in touch.

Fly High
    Sue
  • SueSue
    edited March 2015
    @ GertyX & Bill
    Sounds good. Perfect Levitation weather. Hope it's sunny and warm as well. ☺

Fly High

Sue