Gimbals are here and will transition your KAP endeavors to useable KAV

edited September 2015 in KAP Gear Sources
A company called Feiyutech has put on the market a WG Wearable Gimbal, it is a 3-Axis gimbal for the GoPro that I use now on my Modified Brooxe Vertical rig. This unit will set you back $309 bucks but, if you ever tried KAV without a gimbal this tool will change your mind. I have only used it once and I was very impress with the smoothness of the video and not the helter skelter video that I'm use to getting. There are limitation the gimbal will shut it self off after 7 minutes of use for some reason need to email Feiyutech about that. It is also is a solidly built all metal unit that unfortunately will add 6.6 oz to your existing rig setup but, it is a trade off I am willing to accept for smoother video. Go to this link to get more info http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1170808-REG/feiyu_fy_wg_3_axis_wearable_gimbal.html
I do have to return the unit for a new one, one of the springs in the battery compartment broke off from its soldering point they may need to be reinforce another thing I will mention to Feiyutech.

Comments

• edited September 2015
    Here are two links to the two setups I have with the Gimbal.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/nestorimages/6Q7507
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/nestorimages/0938jn
  • Hi,
    I wonder how such a gimbal handles pan swinging. I believe that significant pan oscillations can not be corrected properly when using a Picavet (the Picavet will turn more than the rig?), but I never tried... Maybe better results with a pendulum? Do you have positive experiences in this regard?

Cheers, Hans.
  • I was flying in about 8mph winds and the unit was rotating 360 degrees at 15 seconds continuously. The speed was too fast for the gimbal and it would give it a stop and go effect but the image was still viewable and stable. The next time i will slow it down to a minute for the rotation and I it will look great. I am still experimenting but I believe this gimbal will give me positive results. I will keep everyone updated.
  • I had a 2-axis gimbal for my RC flying gear - it worked extremely well for the most part, dampening sudden movements to nothing - though calibration can be difficult as in my case I could never get it to level the horizon perfectly.

2-axis is probably v unsuitable fore KAP due to the panning; with a quadcopter heading in a straight line there is a characteristic side to side hunting motion of the video as that axis isn't dampened in any way, but I could imagine how a 3 axis might work well for a Kite. If I recall you can set the amount of dampening/ degrees of movement on the pan axis before it 'allows' the camera to move in a certain direction?
  • @ nriverajr
    I've just bought a go pro type of camera- the SJCAM4000- and have used it a few times. It would be good to have more level photos and I'm starting to be interested in gimbals to use it with. Can the camera be tilted down on your rIg?

Fly High

Sue
  • I have recently bought one of the Fei-Yu Tech 3axis gimbals, the Mini version. They are beautiful bits of modern engineering. On reading the set up instructions there are certain issues to observe. Like Sue my idea was to use my recently acquired SJCam 5000 + , which I am very pleased with.
    One of the main points you have to observe is that before you power up your gimbal you must mount the camera. Why? Well the gimbal is reputedly balanced to handle the Go Pro camera (weight) and I assume if you power up the gimbal for the first time then it won't calibrate itself correctly. I've gleaned this from several You Tube videos on the subject.

Now comes the rub. The camera mount appears to be an exact fit for genuine branded Go Pro cameras only. The SJCam is in fact about 2 mm bigger than the Go Pro and therefore does not fit the camera cradle. There are several workarounds to this problem but as I see it you need to avoid increasing the weight on the gimbal. On close examination of the cradle I found that there is little room (meat) to increase the recess on the cradle mount with out weakening it. Adding a sub frame no matter how refined would impair the gimbal operation, we are talking engineered tolerances here.
    So with increasing frustration I turned to the camera itself. Now I can't comment on other Go Pro look alikes a but the SJCam 5000+ has a checker plate finish. The next step is not for the faint hearted. I figured that if I could pair off 1 or 2 mm by 3mm off the back of the case top and bottom then the camera would sit in the recess. That would leave me to just do the same to the sadle which sits over the camera and secures it to the cradle. Taking a craft knife to a new camera is not really recommended but I got away with it!!

I'll post some pictures later. I'm now at the stage where the camera is fitted to the cradle and to my delight, in comparison to the YouTube videos, the camera appears better balanced than the real GoPro. In the next couple of days I'll be powering up the gimbal and fitting it to a spare picavet cross and hopefully, weather permitting later this week, fly the whole thing.

Peter
  • I've been looking at this sort of gimbal.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121654894354?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Photos taken from the EBay site

2 axis gimbal for Go-Pro and similar cameras

2 axis gimbal for Go-Pro and similar cameras

I could have done with one in the lake district for the Searcher Project

Abandon Normal Devices

Has anyone used one of these? They are less than £30 with free postage. There is a supplier in the UK so I could have one next week :-)

They are held on with the Velcro round the lens so I think it will fit many Go-Pro lookalike cameras.

Fly High

Sue
  • edited October 2015

Just thought might try andhook it up to my DuneCam system.
  • edited October 2015
    Sue, from a multi GoPro camera look alike then you should be OK as in this case they are using, as you say, velcro fastening system. However, a 2D gimbal only works in the pitch and roll which is OK if you have some other means of pointing the camera in the desired direction i.e pan (or yaw in RC terms). The default setting for most of these gimbals appears to be the heading (yaw) parameter. They are made with the RC aircraft market and of course you can point the aircraft in the desired direction. By connecting up to a RC set up you can override the default settings.

Spurred on by this thread I hooked out an old Futaba T6 and charged up the batteries!! After a bit of deciphering of the channels I've got the whole thing working. and I have to say I'm impressed. Managed to get it all working off 1 joystick along with the mode on another channel, I'm not sure as to the correctness of this at the moment!

However, the joystick will pan and tilt the camera and once the direction is selected will hold it so. Alter it and it uses the new heading. Camera tilts fully up and down OK. Using one of the channels switches and it goes into basic default mode, the camera levels and maintains its default heading. Quite successful, next task is to mount on a picavet.

One thing I have noticed and this is sure to be a real battery drainer. The system is undoubtedly very responsive and by just taking the rig to its limits in twisting and turning, the rig will and does vibrate when the servos reach their limits as they try to correct themselves against each other. So be aware of this as it will eventually take its toll on battery endurance but more importantly on the life of the servo.

Peter.

I know this is shown on a drone but the picture in picture sequence here shows the degree of stability afforded by these gimbals.
  • As Peter says, the gimbal you looked at is only 2-axis. It's also quite a but heavier than his (210gm vs 150gm). Things may be different now, but a year or so when I was looking for a 2-axis gimbal for my quad, the cheap ones like the one you pointed to had a very bad reputation - very hard to set up properly. People (including me) went for gimbals costing more than 3 times as much.
  • According to some YouTube's videos, they seem to be easy to set up straight out of the box. There's a button at the front of the pcb board which you push and if you want the camera to point down you hold it in that position for a few seconds and it stays there. I think if you want it to point in a different direction you might have to attach it onto the kite line pointing the correct way.
    There was a lighter one compared with that type but it was harder to set up and less rigid and didn't give smooth videos.

I'll look into things a bit more before jumping in. I'm definitely taken with the idea of level photos!

Fly High

Sue
  • I've seen this 3 axel gimbal on eBay UK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Axis-Brushless-Gimbal-Camera-Mount-32bit-Storm32-Controller-Gopro-3-4-i-UK-/281813961318?hash=item419d6bca66

At just over £60 free postage

What's the advantage of a 3 axel gimbal over a 2 axel one? I intend to have it pointing in one direction haul it down to change direction. I'd have to have some way of changing the direction it was pointing in.

Fly High

Sue
  • edited October 2015
    Wirth a two axis gimbal, you can control the tilt and the gimbal will react to and correct any side to side rocking (ROLL) or up and down tilting (PITCH). It will not do anything to change or correct the heading/panning (YAW) - which means (a) you have to do that some other way and (b) any twisting of the rig will not be corrected (and hence video may not look so good).

With a 3-axis gimbal, all three axes are stabilised and you can use r/c to control both pan and tilt. The smooth videos you see on YouTube are usually done with a 3-axis gimbal. You can see a video I shot with my quad fitted with a 2-axis gimbal here. The r/c for the quad let me adjust the tilt and, by rotating the quad, the pan (which the quad itself will try to hold steady).
  • Was your video "deshaken" by YouTube ? It looks very smooth. Have you used it on a kite ?

Fly High

Sue
  • No, that's straight from the Phantom.

I'm not really interested in doing kite videos - only really makes sense to me if you have a video downlink (like the Phantom) so you can see exactly what the camera is seeing. In any case, the gimbal I have is custom-designed for the Phantom camera (which is very light). It could probably be adapted for a GoPro, but I don't have one. All my KAP cameras (Canons of various types) are much too bulky and heavy to be stabilised by the sort of gimbals we're discussing here.

• The larger gimbals are also getting cheaper:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/DYS-Aluminiumv-DSLR-3-Axis-Brushless-Gimbal-w-Motors-Controller-for-Sony-NEX-/171750545047?hash=item27fd215697

total weight about 700 grams.

I'm not interest in video, but it might enable lower shutter speeds (in low light conditions)

Still serious money if it does not work... :-/
  • SueSue
    edited October 2015
    OK Dave. I just wondered. I'm not interested in kite video but it would be good to have more photos with a level horizon.

Hans... I don't want that much added weight. My 700g rig + camera is enough

Fly High

Sue
  • I had a thought re 2 versus 3 axis gimbals.
    If I used a two axis gimbal, if the kite changed direction because of a wind change, which often happens, the camera would follow its direction.
    If I used a 3 axis gimbal, the camera would still point in the original direction. Is that right?

Fly High

Sue
  • SueSue
    edited October 2015
    Thanks Dave
    I think that the 2 axis one will do me fine. I don't normally use video anyway.

I can have one by the weekend if I order today :-)

I'll be Flying High

Sue
  • edited October 2015
    Here is a link to my first edited video of footage taken by my Gopro Hero 3 mounted to my 3 axis Feiyutech Wearable Gimbal. This was suspended from a Peter Lynn PLK 2m2 pilot parafoil in 10-8mph winds. This was edited in Final Cut Pro where i Tweaked the speed on some clips and added stabilization which smooth it out even more.

https://vimeo.com/142591449
  • That is very smooth Nestor, and very cool too!
  • edited October 2015
    Here is a link to my second edited video of footage taken by my Gopro Hero 3 mounted to my 3 axis Feiyutech Wearable Gimbal. This was suspended from a Ultrafoil 15 in 18mph winds. This was edited in Final Cut Pro where I Tweaked the speed on some clips and added stabilization which smooth it out even more.

https://vimeo.com/142741058
  • Sue,
    I made some experiments on a 2axis system.
    The use of theses Gimball systems need to use open source programs.
    They are only for people having a GoPro or equivalent !
    The equilibrium is to be done very precisely to remove consumption on the system when no order is given !
    The best choice to do is to go on internet site RCgroups.com to see how to set them.
    Low cost gimballs are a little bit complicated to set ;.
    The best choice is to buy a ready to use system more expensive if you want really one !
    If you check the weight of the system , you have most of the time to use a 2S Lipo battery that will add more weight !
    José
  • @ Jose
    My 2 axis gimbal arrived yesterday but when I attached the camera, SJCam4000, connected the 9v battery and tilted the frame to the right, the camera frame jerked violently. I installed the GUI interface but it now does different things after I altered the settings. It now shakes and looks down. :-(
    All the YouTube videos also want to set the RC as well.
    Do you know good settings for KAP please. That would help a lot.
    I have sent a message to the supplier but they won't be back until Monday.

I wasted a good KAP day trying to fix it. Today there's no sun or wind.

Fly High

Sue
  • @ nriverajr
    Your videos have disappeared

Fly High

Sue
  • Sue

if your gimbal has a USB port, then I suggest you watch this video - it tells you how to set up a 2-D gimbal. You'll have to download the software he mentions.
  • Sue,
    You are lucky, Dave know how to use them , you have with you one of the best technician using the open source programs !
    Can you give the name of your mother board card using a usb port ?
    José
  • After a wasted day yesterday trying to get the newly arrived gimbal to work smoothly (when it was sunny and windy with autumn colours to KAP), I had a look today at the video Dave suggested and made my settings the same. It still shook violently. Huh !
    I had a look at this page

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1815204&page=114#post24435592

and found some useful info about 1/4 way down the page from Bricobrac on 15 March 2013.
    Eventually after tweaking various settings the gimbal worked almost as it shoud. It stays level in the roll but the pitch stays OK unless it touches the works and tilts further down or if I move it by hand, it stays in that position but continues to work properly as a gimbal.
    This is a screenshot of my current settings.

Gimbal  settings

Does anyone know why the pitch isn't coming back to the set positon and any better settings to improve it please?

Fly High

Sue
  • @ Jose

The motherboard says "BASECAM ELECRONICS" "powered by BaseCam"

Fly High

Sue