Selfie Stick Monopods as KAP Pendulums

I thought that it might be useful to set up a separate thread on monopods which can be used directly, or modified, as a pendulum.
This follows on from the threads:
http://arch.ced.berkeley.edu/kap/discuss/index.php?p=/discussion/5694/bouncing-picavet/p1
http://arch.ced.berkeley.edu/kap/discuss/index.php?p=/discussion/5198/new-camera-ricoh-wg-m1-and-sony-sensor-leagoo-elite-1-phone

So far, in the above postings, I have illustrated the simplest stick, which does not have locking sections. It is sold under many names and for a wide range of prices. It is the Z07-1 monopod, the cheapest price being £1, but expect to pay twice that. Asda now sell them here in Scotland.
The other was the flip lock section Yunteng 088 stick, illustrated here attached to a hand gimbal (but not flown as yet):

I have ordered two further sticks which have twist lock sections, a PRO Balios and a PREMIUM, the latter having a quoted load rating of 6kg!

Of these monopods, only the cheapest Z07-1 is made of steel and not an aluminium alloy. There are some carbon fibre ones available, but on paper, they do not have a weight advantage over the alloy ones and tend to be shorter. Quoted weights are problematic, partly because they included items not required for the simplest KAP, eg an internal battery....but which may have other uses.

When the last two sticks arrive, I will photograph them all together and post accurate details.

Have you experience of these or any other selfie-sticks, or the longer, more traditional monopods, preferably under 250g in weight?

Not a selfie stick shot, but just makes me smile and is a reminder of one of our applications (2) ;o)

SCRAN is one of over 200 recipients within our Scheme.

SCRAN now have a selfie stick to fly (2nd March 2016).

Comments

• edited March 2016
    SELFIE STICKS

114g Z071 (non-lockable sections) ~£2 with added end stop (camera retaining screw). Any thoughts on how to lock the sections other than by using sticky tape (which we have not used)?

164g PRO Balios (twist lock) ~£13 with integral bluetooth, battery and charge port. Came in a generic box.

170g Yunteng 088 (flip lock) ~£8 with a glued on band of material.

180g PREMIUM (aka King Kong - twist lock) ~£20 Comes with a separate, attachable bluetooth button and solid metal phone clamp.

Weights are measured for the configurations shown in the images. Scales checked against UK 20p pieces (20p = 5g)

If the phone clamp is removed from the Balios, the end is suitable for fastening on a T bar, as shown below:

There is a standard camera thread on the end of the handle.

• edited March 2016
    Jim Knowles and I were out flying an IR converted Pentax WG-10 compact with the £2, Z071 selfie stick on Monday of this week at Zetland Park, Grangemouth:
    (https://www.flickr.com/photos/47204338@N03/with/24835492364/)

The camera was mounted in a phone clamp with added ties (elastic bands).
  • John

I bought myself the Z071 and havn't used it yet. It is so stiff that taping up may not be necessary. Did you use a safety line?

• edited March 2016
    It did not need a safety line as I was confident that the red end screw was enough, should the line slip.

The sections can be stiff to pull but they are usually easier to turn, especially when fully extended.
  • I am tempted to use simple line technology to keep the monopod from fully extending
  • edited March 2016
    'simple line technology to keep the monopod from fully extending' ?

I would not worry too much about rotation initially. Just make sure that the knot is correct.
    Here is a composite near infra-red photo from a Pentax WG-10 on the same Z071 selfi stick, taken last Monday:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/47204338@N03/24835492364/
    The area shown is covered in grass, with one footpath joining another in the image.

• Line technology, a simple piece of line or as shown here with built in safety line if required. Your original knot can be tied first and the extension limiter hooked up after. I suspect you could go either way tbh.

2016-03-09_09-42-39

• edited March 2016
    At first, try flying at full extension with that small camera ;o)
    A shorter length pendulum will result in a faster swing.

I flew again today and used the stick at its full extension, as usual. No problems at all with the Xiaomi Yi turning.
    Here is my usual test scene:

• edited March 2016
    John,
    The use of your monopod stick is quite interesting .
    * It can be put in flight situation very quickly.
    * The safety system added to the wire fixation is very needed, in case of sudden decreasing wind speed !
    ( One time I use a such hook to try how it can work and I saw it coming back along the cable ! )
    * Its own length of the part used can be set easily.
    * The orientation of the camera can be set from 0 -180° with the screw system .
    * It can carry a light camera like a Yaomi or Gopro camera.

It is a very good innovation for helping the people to discover kite aerial photography !
    José
  • edited March 2016
    Hi José
    So far, in practice, I have not had the knot come loose when the wind speed drops.
    I have carried out tests with both the Xiaomi (as immediately above) and the heavier Ricoh WG-M1as posted before:
    Although with fewer megapixels (14 as opposed to 16 and with the safety lens removed), the Ricoh totally outclasses the Xiaomi (tested 3 cameras) in terms of both flare control (shooting directly into the sun) and resolution, even after taking the WG-M1's heavier in-camera processing into account.
    The main drawback with the Ricoh WG-M1 is that it does not have an interval mode and you have to shoot via WiFi.

I will be adding a small T-bar to the hand gimbal pendulum.

For very light breezes and no wind flying, I am also looking at single length carbon fibre tubing pendulums with the same simple approach. Although if you are working in an open area, no wind KAP is not too difficult, even with small standard kits.

• edited March 2016
    Auto KAP
    I flew a carbon fibre tube today.

I added an elastic band to the top of the tube as a stop, should the constrictor knot slip (shown in the above image on a section of a carp fishing pole).
    For my applications, a tilt mechanism is not needed with such a wide angle lens, but I attached the camera to the tube with a clockwork (15 minute, electric timer) motor, so that the camera would rotate.
    Here are some images:
    https://www.facebook.com/ArmadaleWL/posts/1676091705997316?pnref=story

The camera was not as stable as with the selfie stick, but this may have been due to the variable wind. A heavier camera would have been better. However, most pictures were fine, but this is probably more due to the design of the action camera than that of the suspension.
    I will order some of the motors for selfie sticks.
  • The video I posted to show how quickly a selfie stick or tube can be attached to a kite line under tension has proved a little too quick.

Here is another version:
    https://youtu.be/iirCwYONnIY
  • edited December 2016
    Hi,

About 2 years ago I joined the forum and was about to build a 5 foot Rok to hoist with but life got in the way. Now I am giving it a try again. Back then I made a picavet from a plastic bucket bottom but found through tests in the living room that my keyring attachments were not frictionless enough and the picavet would hold an angle if let loose with one. I attached a selfie stick to the picavet and hang the camera from that. The extra distance between the picavet and the center of mass of the rig over came the friction at the keyrings and the picavet would level out like it is suppose to. In the field this will however make launching a bit difficult I suppose. Camera bumping on the ground while attaching to kite line.

That set-up was a bit like a picavet with a pendulum at the bottom

PS Got the Tyvek and braided line, the dowel sticks and the camera ... now I just need the time
  • namepa,
    What is the weight of your camera?
  • edited December 2016
    John,
    It is a Canon Powershot A810 that I got secondhand about two years ago. Never actually got it on a balance (and back then I worked for a civil engineering laboratory...was quality manager..had to make sure everything was calibrated...balances included!) But google recons between 4.34 ounce and 171g. The difference is the 2 AA batteries I think. So 171g.
  • edited December 2016
    With small cameras like that, I now normally use a selfie stick.
    I use two main variations:

imagehttp://armadale.org.uk/selfiesticks.jpg

In the upper variant, I attach a Simplex frame for mounting a compact camera.