I started designing my KAP rig #6
See KAP rig #5
My KAP rig #5
is working perfectly as I wanted. I'm impressed that I can reach about 400ft with the 25mW video transmitter. Although, I noticed when the wind is getting strong, the rig moves a lot. It's probably caused by the large surfaces area exposed to the wind and also the relatively small picavet.
I started designing a new revision of this rig. This will be my 6th rig. The main improvements are:
- reduce the rig weight as much as possible.
- reduce the surface areas exposed to wind.
- enlarge the picavet and make it foldable for travelling
- create a real PCB for the electronics instead of prototyping by hand. This will eliminate almost all harnesses (reduce weight) and make it easier to assemble the rig.
- create a real PCB for the remote control
And, to add to Tom's comment in the rig#5 discussion:"...I was planning to use a hollow tilt axle, and to run the shutter and video cables through that and into the tilt frame...", I have a few ideas I’d like to try. If it works, it’ll allow me to reduce the overall size of the rig.
It'll take several months before I'm done with this one but at the end I'm planning to publish all the drawings and software if anyone is interested.