Canon A570IS - "D.O.A." {Dead On Activation}?

edited June 2017 in KAP Cameras
I use my A570IS as a regular hand-held camera, as well as for KAP. Up to a few weeks ago, it WAS working fine.

About 2-3 weeks ago, I tried using it and NOTHING happened. The batteries were okay, so that is not the problem. I went through all the "Troubleshooting" steps in the owner manual I downloaded a while back, but NONE of those steps helped.

I have two questions for everyone here:

(1) If the "button battery" is dead, will that prevent the camera from switching on?

(2) There is a small "tab" under the battery cover that I noticed is broken. This MAY have been broken for a while now. But if it is recent, could this be causing my problem? {See the photo below - I am pointing to the tab with my pen.}

{EDIT: I initially posted this through my p.o.s. notsosmartphone, sitting in my pickup, in the parking lot of my work place. [Yes, I think I am a closet masochist.] I could NOT get the attached photo to ATTACH correctly until just now, using my laptop at home, which I was NOT able to do until after midnight.}

Comments

• 1. if the button battery is dead or missing you just get asked to set the date and time each time you start the camera
    2.in the past (on an old 570 I no longer have) I've had problems with the battery contacts on the hinged flap door not making proper contact with the battery. I seem to remover lifting then slightly with a small screwdriver to try to fix things.
  • Time to " quit beating a dead horse " ?

Hop on over to e-bay and pick up an s95 or s100.
    Nothing like being in the field, finally out and ready to KAP, and the camera that you know is
    going to fail, fails !

With most of the newer cameras you will be switching over to a re-chargeable, proprietary battery.
    Fear not, they are cheap, and reliable, aftermarket.

Paul
  • I used to use an A590IS and the battery lid never closed quite as it should, but it always worked so I'm not convinced that's the failure point.

I agree with Paul that a 2nd hand S100 would be an excellent investment. I haven't flown mine for a while, but the image quality against that of much newer cameras still holds strong.
  • THANK YOU for your replies. SORRY that I have not replied before now.

FWIW: I tend to prefer to hang onto stuff I have used if it continues functioning properly, versus constantly "upgrading". That probably comes from when I was growing up. Due to lack of $$$, I had to "scrounge" electronnics versus outright purchasing new items.

ALSO: Even if I switch to a newer KAP camera, this little Canon is nice just as a daily carry around camera.
  • Many paths
    Will lead you to the same destination.
    Why choose the one with rocks and brambles ?

You just need to choose your preferred.
    Do you want to curate broken cameras,
    or Kapture photos from the sky ?

Hate to admit it,
    I'm still able to do both!
  • I still have my A570IS and it still works. After crashing it in Texas, the battery door was twisted. The fix has been to keep the door taped down with electrical tape. I switched to an S100 for KAP several years ago but now my rig wiring is not working. I suspect a short somewhere in the light sensor. It was much easier to attached the wiring to the A570IS so I might go back to it if I ever do KAP again.

Tom
  • Many of the canon cameras have a tiny microswitch by the door which detects whether the door is open or not (or located properly), I seem to recall having occasional problems with the switch in the past but cannot remember which camera. the switch may be attached to the tab to the right of the memory card in the photo.
  • Update...

(1) No, I have not purchased a new camera yet, but it is inevitable that I will.

(2) I have not discarded my Canon A570IS yet because I feel that it has a lot of 'life' left in it. Being some what frugal {for various reasons} I do not like to discard things that may only be temporarily malfunctioning.

If someone has an A570IS handy, could you post a photo {or photos} here of the open battery compartment, similar to what I posted above? If you have such a pic {or pics} but cannot post them here, let me know and I will send you an email address to send it {or them} to. I want to see if something is obviously different between a working A570IS and mine. I never paid any particular attention to that part of the camera, so I do now know what it looked like when I first purchased it.

Thanks in advance....
  • I had to hunt for my A570IS, which I no longer use. Comparing it to your picture above, I see that we share a broken tab (that your pen points out). I never noticed it before but I am fairly sure that its function was to hold down the corner of the door. As stated before, my solution was to tape down the door so that it contacts the body quite tightly. As long as I had it taped down well, I had no further problems. I see no differences between your picture and my camera.

Tom
  • @PorkyTom

Thank You!

UNfortunately, while not tape, I HAVE tried holding the battery compartment cover closed, and the camera still did not switch on....
  • One more comment about why I want to make this camera work again

I LIKE using this thing as an everyday point & shoot camera. Even after I purchase a newer KAP camera, my A570IS will still have a lot of 'life' {I hope} left in it for that purpose.
  • That tab is not part of any electrical circuit (I just tested - it's nonconducting) it's just part of the door locking mechanism. The little push switch (to the right of the SD card) is though - when pressed it signals that the door is closed.

My own A570 is still going (went round the world back in 2009) but plays up occasionally (won't switch on). Hasn't been used for KAP for several years but it was my main PAP camera. I recently replaced it for that purpose with an Ixus 960IS - no aperture/shutter setting ability, but it's light, small and strong (titanium body) and takes excellent 12 Mpixel photos. It also has live video out (which most Canon point and shoots no longer have) so I can use a video downlink (very useful for PAP).

Like the A570, it's pre-2012, so the max card size (without having 2 partitions) is 4Gb.

I got mine (second hand but VERY little use) for £53 (about $75).
  • @DaveMitchell

Thanks for the info! I haven't done anything else to the camera, due to (1) I've been busy with more than usual stuff, and (2) The memory card on my smartphone 'died', and I'm trying to recover - or figure out HOW to recover - whatever information is left on it....