Canon A570IS - "D.O.A." {Dead On Activation}?

edited June 10 in KAP Cameras
I use my A570IS as a regular hand-held camera, as well as for KAP. Up to a few weeks ago, it WAS working fine.

About 2-3 weeks ago, I tried using it and NOTHING happened. The batteries were okay, so that is not the problem. I went through all the "Troubleshooting" steps in the owner manual I downloaded a while back, but NONE of those steps helped.

I have two questions for everyone here:

(1) If the "button battery" is dead, will that prevent the camera from switching on?

(2) There is a small "tab" under the battery cover that I noticed is broken. This MAY have been broken for a while now. But if it is recent, could this be causing my problem? {See the photo below - I am pointing to the tab with my pen.}

{EDIT: I initially posted this through my p.o.s. notsosmartphone, sitting in my pickup, in the parking lot of my work place. [Yes, I think I am a closet masochist.] I could NOT get the attached photo to ATTACH correctly until just now, using my laptop at home, which I was NOT able to do until after midnight.}

Comments

• 1. if the button battery is dead or missing you just get asked to set the date and time each time you start the camera
    2.in the past (on an old 570 I no longer have) I've had problems with the battery contacts on the hinged flap door not making proper contact with the battery. I seem to remover lifting then slightly with a small screwdriver to try to fix things.
  • Time to " quit beating a dead horse " ?

Hop on over to e-bay and pick up an s95 or s100.
    Nothing like being in the field, finally out and ready to KAP, and the camera that you know is
    going to fail, fails !

With most of the newer cameras you will be switching over to a re-chargeable, proprietary battery.
    Fear not, they are cheap, and reliable, aftermarket.

Paul
  • I used to use an A590IS and the battery lid never closed quite as it should, but it always worked so I'm not convinced that's the failure point.

I agree with Paul that a 2nd hand S100 would be an excellent investment. I haven't flown mine for a while, but the image quality against that of much newer cameras still holds strong.