Any Reason Why Knot

Joining lines - such as after an incident when a line is severed. Swivels have caused some problems for some folks.
Any suggestions for a solution better than say, a Fisherman's Knot.

Granted, knots do compromise a line, but it can't be avoided. For most of us, KAP ultimately relies on just one knot-
at the end of the picavet line.

Comments

• I used a double-fisherman's knot to fix a cut line, and it worked fine for at least a couple KAP seasons.

We use that knot for joining two ropes when we're out rock climbing.
  • Agree, double-fisherman's knot will work. Recommend triple-fisherman's knot with stopper knots if you are using Dyneema or similar line.

See this link for a bunch of knots!

http://www.animatedknots.com/doublefishermans/index.php

Also remember - all knots will weaken the line and lower the breaking force.

WW
  • Jim,

Agree about knots weakening the line. Don't have much choice: any line is only as strong
    as the knot at the kite - the Lark's Head.

But with 200 # line, we are usually flying with a safety factor ( line test rating divided by "normal"
    pulling conditions - usually not greater than 20 # ...) of say, 10. Pretty darn good.
  • There's something called the blood knot that's supposed to be very good for line joining. Mainly used with monofilament, but no reason it wouldn't work for kite line. In theory it comes close to preserving the original line strength.
  • I think the Blood knot, and perhaps a variant, are favored by Brooks. I still wonder, right-out-of-the-gate,
    how much we weaken flying line with the first knot - the Overhand Knot to form the loop to become the
    Lark's Head, at the point-of-attachment to the kite.
  • edited June 23
    I always use the figure-8 on a bight to form the loop for the Lark's head, just out of force of habit. I think the rock climbers use it because it's easier to untie after it's been weighted.

The EDK (Euro Death Knot) is an overhand knot used to join two ropes, but there are reports of the knot "rolling" over itself and becoming untied, hence the name. Safe use of this knot requires the tails be tied around the line, so I guess it could be called the "Euro Double Death Knot".