Comments

• edited July 13
    A curious article: the live demo went badly (as they will unless you refuse to fly until conditions allow: Murphys Law and all that) and the description of mapping results didn't really square with the image capture shown.

Just when KAP is being replaced by other aerial platforms a strong argument for KAP as an accessible technology is needed and this is almost it, but oh the woe...

I'm just wrapping up a KAP community project and one of the early lessons learned is scheduling for best conditions. If you are going to demonstrate a weather dependant technology everyone involved needs to be aware KAP will only happen when its possible. I ran with many postponements and the outcome was a (modest) success. The 1st thing everyone learned was landscape recording and weather are co-dependant.

So it was with a sense cringing embarrassment I read this:
    first flight up the squid kite string, the tiny camera is upside down. On its second, it slips free and bounces off a few tree branches before it lands hard on the pavement. (And is out of commission for the evening.) “Ok, so when the line goes slack, the rigging falls out,” Jeff says, clearly stowing that tidbit in his head for later. “We just did some science!” He then jogs over to a passerby: “Hey, did you see that camera fall out of the sky?”

Crashing a kite into a tree and dropping a camera is bad enough but then declaring “We just did some science!” is really rubbing it in. It is a bit like me driving off a cliff and saying "look I did engineering" ouch.

B