Favorite mirrorless cameras for KAP?

I'm new to mirrorless cameras. Which mirrorless cameras are ideal for KAP? It seems that Sony has a been the pioneer with mirrorless interchangeable lens camera options (first with the NEX and now with alpha series options). Does anyone shoot with an a6000? a6300? a6500? I'm leaning towards trying the a6000 for cost and weight considerations. Any other recommendations are appreciated.

Comments

• I have the a5100. I primarily got it for it's stellar video capture though.
    The a6000 does lend itself more toward photography. (it has dedicated buttons for exposure etc)

I think the a5X00 series is lighter? I know it's smaller by a bit.
  • edited August 23
    Since 3 years I'm using an Olympus EPM2 body and a Panasonic 12-30 mm lens (24 to 60 mm equivalent).
    The total weight is 350 g.
    There is a special plug to trigger the camera, no special code, just a switch. In the same plug there is also the video output.
    I have managed to control the manual zoom with a servomotor, adding 40g to the rig.
    You can see some results in this album aerophotography in Clisson
    Click on the images to enlarge.
  • I'm just starting with the a5000. The only issue so far is that it doesn't have a viewfinder, making it a bit difficult to adjust the manual focus.

arch.ced.berkeley.edu/kap/discuss/index.php?p=/discussion/5943/how-to-trigger-a-sony-a5000#latest

I find that the quality of the photos are not as good as my Canon EOS T4i (EOS 650) but considering that it's about 300g lighter, I think it's still acceptable.
  • edited August 24
    My favorite mirrorless is the Sony RX1. It is a wonder, 482g, sharp Zeiss glass, quick AF, high ISO and will run to a wide stop without softening. 4 years on it still has the best weight to sensor ratio I can find for the money. It's been replaced by newer models now so they turn up on ebay at quite reasonable prices. It's my best res cameras for survey work.

Shutter release is by servo 'finger'.

My only complaint is the short battery life.

B
  • You should look into getting a Ricoh GR or a Nikon Coolpix A. Both cameras in my opinion are perfect for my type of KAP. My three primary reason I love these cameras is that there APS-C sensor, lightweight and have a built in intervalometer. If you want to get higher resolution you can go for a Sony A7 which is a full frame sensor that is lightweight. Good luck in your search.
  • edited August 24
    I went for the Sony Nex 5 cameras because of the wide choice of cheap, good quality lenses (including Sigma 19mm and Samyang 8 and 12mm), but I do not fly them that often. I have a Sony A7, if I ever need really high quality shots, but that is increasingly less likely and the lenses are heavier too. I use these cameras mainly for ground-based photography. As mentioned by Bill, battery life is not that great.

Decide what you intend doing with your images, and where you intend to fly, then go for the most appropriate camera.
    For most KAP, I fly small cameras and phones.
  • The Sony A6000 (APS-C) is my choice when weight is no problem and I need high resolution photographs. I use it with a range of lenses including the Sony 50 mm f1.8 prime and the Rokinon 8 mm fisheye.

Where the weight becomes a concern I use my Panasonic GM1(MFT) which has a smaller sensor and a lower megapixel count. For this camera my favourite lenses are the Panasonic 42.5mm f1.7, 14mm f2.5 pancake and the Rokinon 7.5 mm fisheye.

When focal length is not critical and I want the sharpest possible result I use my Ricoh GR (APSC) with its fixed 18.3mm f2.8 lens.

I occasionally use an infrared NEX5 R with a Voigtlander 15mm f4.5 lens and have a lot of fun with my second hand Ricoh Theta, but the Panasonic GM1 gets the most air time by a mile.

Hope this helps, Al
  • NB
    Samyang SLR lenses are also branded as Vivitar, Falcon, Rokinon, Walimex, Bower, Opteka, Bell and Howell, Polar, and Pro-Optic.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samyang_Optics
  • I like to fly as simple, light and inexpensive as possible (helps with traveling a lot and my wallet), so have now settled on using Canon cameras with CHDK loaded, both for the interval timer and RAW capture.

Have just started using (after my last crash with the previous Canon!) a Powershot SX240, which works really well. Something like a Canon Powershot S100, S110 & S120, using CHDK for the interval timer, is the optimum of quality, cost and weight, but they don't make good infrared camera; hence, I use a SX240.

I occasionally fly mirrorless Olympus PM2 and M5, but less often now, the lighter Powershots are fine for me on image quality, given I can get RAW from them with CHDK.

If I was to get a new mirrorless, non-CHDK supporting camera, it would probably be one with a built-in interval timer - making life simpler and more reliable. Something like a Fujifilm X30, X70, Nikon J3 or Panasonic GX80/GX85.

Richmond Flyer
    http://www.photoir.net/kap/
  • PS: forgot that Sony offers a very useful time-lapse app for some of their mirrorless cameras, including NEX-5 & 6, most of their a5000-6500 and Sony7 models.
    Sony Time Lapse App
    This is a really nice feature to save using an external device.