String vibration question

I am still in the "learning to fly the thing" phase. At times, I notice a vibration in the kite line. It seems to happen during gusts, mostly.
I'm not sure if it is simply the kite line vibrating in the wind or if it comes from the kite itself. Will this affect the camera much when I get to that phase?
I am halfway tempted to get a bowstring dampener from the archery shop and see if it will take care of it.
All my kites are sleds.
Thanks

Comments

• 10 years ago there was some discussion here of line vibration and its effects on KAP cameras. Quite a few of us tried rubber rings - the sort used in car exhaust/muffler systems - to damp the vibrations. I think we all came to the conclusion that it wasn't really a problem and abandoned the use of dampers - at least those of us using dacron line whose elasticity seems to absorb vibrations. I certainly have't used one since then.

Here's a picture of the sort of thing we tried:
  • also for me Dave is quite right.... I use only dacron and possibly avoiding lines with external surface very rough such as some lines made by 8 threads

wishes of good wind and fun from KAP

SMAC from Italy
  • Thank you
  • At the time of /discussion/927/line-vibration2007 we had more the experience of film cameras, not yet the one of digital cameras. Since the stabilization of the sensor and of the lens has spread and been sophisticated.

There are two kinds of vibrations on the line.
    One is the vibration of the wind on any stretched structure, being a bridge or a kite line. Here any mass on the line acts as a node. The rig is a node. There the amplitude of this vibration lessens, usually to nought.

The other vibration is the one from the kite. The kite don't reacts fully smoothly against the wind. The sails and the kite itself are flapping. It really depends on the kite and on the wind force. This vibration is an alterning movement in the line direction. When the line expands and takes back the rig moves up and down. This frequency range is very wide and the stabilization systems of digital cameras are not efficient on a such range. So it doesn't really helps and usually large balancing movements put the stabilization device on its thrusts, so this system is useless.
    A line with a bit of elasticity and the rubber O ring are efficient to compensate such line vibration of expansion. The best place for the O ring is over the rig.

When blurred images are observed, change the kite, get a more elastic line, or try the O ring, and observe what you get.
  • I can't help thinking the answer to line movement is to use a slack line. Take a step toward the kite before you release the shutter and the forces acting on the rig should be nulled untill the line becomes taut again. Walking down wind with an eye on the rig really works well as the speed of the walk keeps the tension off the line- the camera really does 'float'.

B
  • Thanks for the suggestions and tips. I have much to look forward to in this activity. My confidence is building in the flying part. As is usual for me, different kites and gear tempt me. I need to use and become confident with the kit and gear I currently have.
    I walk past drones in the department stores now. The appeal is not there for me. I need an element of chance and risk.
    Thanks again everyone.