Considering another pole

For some time, I was using an extendable fibreglass pole with decent success. It was fairly reliable until it snapped. Now I'm considering two of these:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/monarch-1-8-3-8m-professional-extension-pole_p1662498

Combined together, that should give me a height of 7.6 meters. I would join them temporarily so that they can be carried separately to a location (easier for storage too.) In other words, they would be put together just before the photography begins and then taken apart when the shooting session ends.

Just wondering how much weight you reckon these poles could hold? They are made of aluminium which of course is known for denting if not handled carefully. Though at least it's less likely to snap - like what happened to my fibreglass pole. I hope I'm not ambitious but I'd like to mount a micro 4/3 camera on to the two-pole combination. I was using my GoPro with the fibreglass pole. The fisheye lens distortion worked well for some subjects and made other subjects look damn right ugly. So this time around, I'd much prefer a rectilinear wide angle lens (on one of my m4/3 cameras.) Just hope the two poles together can handle the weight.

Just curious if any of you KAPers have something on your rigs that allows you to remotely tilt the camera? If I was free-holding the pole, I could simply tilt the pole back and forth to get the desired framing. Though if it was secured to a tripod, I'd have to use some means of tilting the camera electronically via remote control. And I'd use the camera's wifi to view the image on my tablet and judge the composition.

Comments

• Hey Dragonblade-
    Welcome back !

I think if you join those 2 poles, as you propose, you will have, at the very
    least, a weak-point where the 2 poles join. Similar to a joint in the center
    of a kite spreader ... not good practice.

A year or so ago through my local building supply yard, I bought a
    Ugar ( ? ) 30 foot extension pole. It ran me about a hundred bucks.
    Shipping alone, had I ordered it on-line, would have been another 40 or so.
    I paid no shipping, as it was part of their greater order ( they paid the shipping.... )

The biggest advantage is that all the pieces " telescope " in to one another,
    and the pole is designed to be used in incremental lengths, so the strength
    should not be a problem.

I have not yet used my pole. I've been tinkering with a mount for the camera
    rig, that will be raised up the pole, after the pole is erect. If you put a camera
    and rig of a pound or 2 on the end of the pole, and then try to lift it, you are
    in for some heavy haulin', and a heavier rig might well bend the pole.

Servo City sells a kit to make a servo-tilted head to move such as you need.
    You will need a couple servo controllers to actuate the servos, but with a simple
    battery pack down low, you can hardwire the whole thing, with the wiring
    attached to the pole.

Hope no one gets bent we're using the kite forum for PAP ....

Good luck,
    Paul

• Hi Dragonblade

you might find this video and the associated webpage useful. As it says in the webpage, I have used my S100 with this rig atop my 9 metre carbon fibre pole. Since the pole is a put-on type (ie not telescopic) that means it has to be assembled horizontally on the ground and then lifted to the vertical, which means I can't use the top section of the pole (which is 10.5 metres long)
  • you could add a brace or braces around the join to reinforce it . i was in bunning the other day only saw some bendy plastic extension pole with screw together joins didn't buy it. however i am curious as to what sort of shots you get with a extention pole might have to google it :)
  • I started out with a 24 foot aluminum extension painter's pole from Home Depot. It worked but was really too flexible, especially in a breeze. It was hard to stabilize. It was also hard to raise to vertical with even a small Canon A570IS on the end. Extended to about 16 feet, these problems were less severe.

I later upgraded to a stiff graphite pole which worked really well up to about 30 feet. I developed a rotating and tilting rig for the camera so I could get a very good matrix of photos for stitching into wide and tall panoramas. Haven't done much for a couple of years, though.

Tom Gautier