KAP quotes

edited March 27 in General
I get asked to talk about KAP to camera clubs now and then, and I'm always stuck with the 'why a kite? ' question.

Usually by the end of the evening the nay sayers are pacified and all agree the aerial viewpoint is of photographic merit. The capture of a good KAP image takes skill, imagination and persistance in equal measure.

This year requests have dropped off but I have a talk to give next month so I wondred if anyone had any pertinent quotes to share. I enjoyed this from Luftschlosser::
kite aerial photography is still there to give us a clear view of the modern world
I still insist the chance element is a stong attraction, but it takes work to make the luck!

B

Comments

• Most photographers would agree that special images are often created by very patient photographers.

‘Waiting for the light’ and pausing for ‘the decisive moment’ are often thought to be the most important guidelines in our quest to capture that special image.

Patiently slack-lining at the beach from mid-afternoon until the sun goes down has been my most productive KAP time and I will often have a camera in the air for well over an hour before a battery change.

In stark contrast to say, flying a drone, KAP develops patience in a large measure. Kites will stay aloft longer and carry bigger payloads than all but the largest professional drones costing many times more than the outlay for a Levi Light and reel.

Perhaps this could be summed up by a bumper sticker that says:

”Kite Aerial photographers do it with patience”.

Al
  • I was interviewed by the local newspaper a couple years ago and was explaining that, since I was doing auto-KAP, I had to reel it in to see what I got. I referred to it as "fishing in the sky for pictures".
  • I've only been flying real kites for 28 years, and Kaping for about 12. So only take my input for what it's worth...

I believe you can have all the skill, and patience in the world, but in the end, you need Lady Luck on your side to make the
    difference. She covers not only the photo output, but also other essentials like: did you change the battery ?
    Is the rig turned on ...?

KAP is like fishing. You never know at the beginning of the day what, if anything you'll take home. But what
    a sweet surprise when a second look shows up several keepers you never realized you had ...
  • I started Kite Aerial Photography as it was a cheap way of capturing aerial photos, that was back in 2008. in the just over 10 years since I started I think I have spent just over £1200 on the equipment that I actually use (not counting a few spare unused kites). It is something I have been able to afford with a limited disposable income.

A few rare unexpected hard landings has not stopped me continuing.

If you want to make comparisons to other aerial platforms you can.
    I can see how I could use say a quadrocopter or similar tool, but I don't own any and I've not flown any.
    In terms of bang for my buck I think I'm still ahead.

When the novelty of any aerial photo wears off, your either fed up with it or want to get decent pictures, and if that means you need a new camera or lens with a kite it dosn't necessarily mean you need the very lightest, and you can get a pretty decent camera for not much money through ebay.

I can go out hiking or cycling all day with some basic kite aerial photography kit in my bag, it dosn't weigh much or take up much space and isn't much bother, I think it was my fifth time on the Summit of Snowdon (highest mountain in wales) before I got some aerial photos of it in the snow.

• edited March 29
    I started KAPing when we moved in 2002 to a house in Devon that could not be properly photographed from the ground (it's on a very sloping site and was at the time invisible from anywhere outside our garden). Since then I've taken thousands of photos of houses and gardens that are practically invisible from the ground.

It's true there are urban locations that a kite-lofted camera can't reach, but, in the UK at least, drones can't either. Here to be legal a drone must be flown no higher than 120 metres, and kept at least 50 metres away from people and private property, and 150 metres from “crowds and built up areas.” That last bit essentially means you can't legally fly a drone in any village, town or city in the UK (parks and recreation grounds are specifically included in "built up areas").

It's also the case that you can't sell photos taken with a drone without a "permission for aerial work from the CAA", a rule that fortunately does not apply to KAP.
  • So... to sum up it looks like we can say KAP is :

the cheapest, freest, most demanding, most rewarding, least reliable aerial phtographic platform for those with a love for the kite.

thank you one and all for the input.

B.
  • edited April 7
    KITE-BASED AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHY was here FIRST - by about 100+ YEARS.

'Nuff said....
  • edited April 8
    well no..Felix Nadar showed a ballon lifts a camera (and a D&P lab) first. A kite, however gets the lift without depletion of the earth's helium or the use of heavy chemicals to make hydrogen...so 'sustainable and low impact' can be added to the KAP attributes.
  • Why a kite.......

Smiles ..... on people's faces holding the kite line.....

No words needed!

The kite string tugs.....at your soul....

WW
    Vizag India - Fishing Port

• Jim - fantastic collection - as you say, no words needed. I found myself in at least 9 of the shots!
  • edited April 9
    Agreed, as I prep for my next KAP mission a timely reminder of the joy of it. Thank you Jim!

So perhaps KAP is:
    ..the cheapest, freest, most demanding, most rewarding, least reliable aerial photographic platform for those who let the kite string tug at their soul.
    I couldn't disagree with that,

B
  • edited April 14
    @Blakebill91 - In case were replying to me {"...showed a balloon lifts a camera..."}, my comment was strictly referring to "The D-Word": "Drones". I should have clarified that.

And yeah, I know the first aerial photo was taken from a balloon. Which I am sure was MUCH QUIETER than a drone...

:~)º

FWIW: My definition of "The D-Word" USE TO BE "Divorce". In the last 3+ years, it has changed. Really.
  • edited April 14
    @WindWatcher - I agree. Those SMILES say it all!