Thinking of getting back into KAP

I'm thinking of getting back into KAP....actually, I never really started. I never got to the point of taking a photograph from a kite. I had been accumulating the equipment for KAP. I had built a picavet and almost got it complete. I had also bought a large single line kite (can't even recall what type / brand it was.) I only had one flight with it and one of the spars broke mid-flight.

So I'm thinking of picking up where I finished off. I can't really explain why I lost enthusiasm for the project. It wasn't anything to do with the broken spar in the kite. Anyhow, I'm starting to get enthusiastic again. Though I do have to admit that's it's pretty overwhelming with so many bits and pieces involved with this hobby.

I also fly quadcopters but here in Australia, it's getting harder to find places to fly them. Laws are getting tighter and more and more places are banning them. There don't seem to be hardly any restrictions on kites with regards to where you can fly them. With a kite, I could take aerial photographs of beautiful natural landscapes like in national parks - which would be ilegal to do with a quadcopter (at least here in South Australia.) I'm also attracted to the notion that a kite can carry bigger, heavier cameras with larger sensors compared to a consumer quadcopter.

Ive still got the big kite and I think Ive still got all the pieces for it but I'm not 100% sure. I might have to replace the broken spar with a piece of bamboo perhaps. Ive also got to work out how to set up / put the thing together again.

Comments

• getting (back) into KAP is a great idea :-)

we are waiting for your photos! ;-)
  • Thanks Jasa. It might be a while before I can produce some KAP images. Ive still got to refamiliarise myself with this kite and work out some other bits and pieces that I need. I'll do what some people recommend and spend about a week flying the kite with a water bottle attached to get used to dealing with a payload. And before that, I'll practise flying the kite on it's own.
  • It is forbidden to fly kites in natural parks in Hungary, check it before you get a check.. Smooth winds for you
  • Komkite, that sounds very restrictive over there. Over here, South Australia has the most strict laws in the country with regards to flying rc aircraft in national parks. By contrast, Queensland are the most relaxed. I haven't heard anything about kites being forbidden but I thought I'd check just in case. Here's the site for SA national parks:

https://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/Visiting/aircraft

And I note that there is no mention of kites at all. It does say that aircraft cannot take off or land in a national park or reserve but they can fly over such areas (minimum height restrictions apply.) And drones cannot be flown in national parks at all unless you have a special permit (which I've heard are hard to obtain.) Though of course we need to define what they mean by 'aircraft' and 'drones.' 'Aircraft' could possibly refer to full size aircraft or remote controlled aircraft or maybe even even kites. 'Drones' may refer to rc aircraft in general. Normally, I wouldn't classify a kite as a drone but that exact same thing happened in Italy. I was reading an earlier forum post by a member who had just launched a kite with a KAP rig in Venice and was fined by a policeman for flying a 'drone.' Ridiculous, I know.

On the photography section of the SA national parks website, they use the word 'drone' to refer to remote controlled aircraft which would likely include rc planes as well so I guess that clears that up. I assume then that 'aircraft' refers to full sized aircraft. So theoretically, flying kites in a national park over here should be fine. It does mention that amateur photography is allowed but commercial photography requires a permit. So KAP should be fine as long as I don't make money from the images.