Kite as an archaeology tool :-)

Well, we've found some strange circles in our kite aerial photos and decided to investigate ...

And then many things happened: a rogue kite was flying alone, the circles were not what we thought they were, and a piece of ancient pottery was found.

Did our kite really discover an Iron Age settlement?

Please, check the full story on our KAP website ... it's a bit of a long read, but is interesting, I promise ;-)

Comments

• Very exciting! I look forward to your updates.
  • Thanks! :-)

And here are the updates ... After the expert archeologists looked into it, this is the verdict:

- the circles are almost surely mushroom-made fairy rings. they overlay the early modern field partition seen in LIDAR data, so they seem younger than that.

- the pottery shard are Roman, indicating something was there long time ago, and it warrants furhter exploration.

Later this month we shall be visiting the place again with some professional archaeologists - and maybe with shovels too :-)

Dr. Štular of the Research Centre of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts created a nice 3D model of the place from our kite aerial photos.

Full update story can be found on our KAP website.
  • Very cool.
    Are there legal concerns about removing artifacts ?

Many years ago I "found" or saw rings underwater in Wellfleet Harbor, Massachusetts, from several KAP photos. In about 4 feet of water.
    I asked around and nobody knew.. I was sure I had " found " something notable.I contacted the chief Biologist at the Cape Cod National; Seashore. He had no idea.
    Finally I asked a local guy, on the pier where I had taken the shot.

He said, " S**t, those are Oyster seedlings..." Wellfleet is known for it's Oysters. Apparently that use an old snowplow
    sander, on a barge, to make small circles of oyster seedlings, to later be transplanted in "granted" beds in the harbor.
    Leases, or grants are given, 10 feet wide, from shore to deep-water, and the Oystermen, and Women, tend them carefully 'til it's time to go to market.
  • Cool investigations! I hope you found something interesting
  • edited August 6
    Paul - no, there weren't any legal concerns, because we were actually trying to confirm the circles were mushroom fairy rings ... the pottery was a purely accidental find, and being a small shard, there was nothing wrong with taking it and showing it around (actually, the professionals could look at it and confirm it was Roman pottery) ...

nice story - because it is exciting and fun even if nothing of any importance is found :-)
  • Matthew - thanks ... so far the professional archaeoloists believe the circles are fairy rings and the pottery is Roman, so *something* may still be there. :-)