Only Kites and Horses

Some shots from a nice KAP session around the village of Velike Bloke on the Bloke karst plateau in the heart of Slovenia - horses, bridges, houses and rivers :-)

Comments

• A pleasant landscape nicely captured.
  • Thanks! :-)
  • Cool pictures. The cameras seems pretty high. How high was it?
  • Thanks! :-)

Well, the kite line used is 400 m long, so the altitude was, let's say, about 200 - maybe 250 m ...
  • @KAP_Jasa - Did the horses react to the presence of your kite or KAP rig? Or did they even notice them at all?
  • That's a good question CG - here in the UK horses seem frightened of kites - perhaps thinking them birds of prey. I've been told not to fly over a field containing horses more than once.
  • edited September 9
    We launched the kite some 500 m away from them, and they were kinda curious ... then the kite flew more than 200 m above them and they didn't seem to notice/be bothered by it. :-)

And to be honest - we didn't even think the kite might spook them. If that happened, we'd move away. Now we shall refrain from flying near horses - the more you know ...
  • edited October 6
    @KAP_Jasa {and @DaveMitchell} - FWLIW, here is the reason I asked about the horses: I lived in Dade County, Florida from 1988 to 1995. While there, I wanted to try KAPing at a park in Broward County, Florida. I do not remember the name of the park, but a place called "BUTTERFLY WORLD" is - or was - located there. There were also miniature 'live-steam' train tracks there, and horse stables at this park.

I asked someone, and was told that kite flying WAS NOT allowed at this park due to the risk of the horses being spooked by kites. So I just gave up trying to KAP there.
  • edited September 23
    Agreed, horses don't like kites but if launched remotely and walked in at height they are unawre of them.

Sadly horse people may not understand the difference between aproaches- the bird people don't either.
  • Great photo, Bill! :-)
  • @Blakebill91 - I myself have noticed that ignorance on the part of non-KAPers....